top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dilemma - dismiss or convert 7 back to 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma - dismiss or convert 7 back to 13?

Oh what a year it's been. I'm seeking opinions on my course of action. Sorry if this is a bit long for a first post...

Apr 08: Filed 13, elected to keep house and 2 new cars (one leased, one financed). Plan payment was horrendous (house worth less than owed, but we wanted to try to save it - keep child in same school and not move). Regular mortgage payments were $3750. Monthly plan payments were nearly $5K.

Jul 08: Wife lost job before 13 confirmation hearing. We voluntarily converted to Ch 7, deciding to give back the house and one car (the financed one). Even with over-median/high income, we 'passed' the revised means test (no presumption of abuse). 13 Trustee paid what was owed to car lease/lien-holders, and refunded rest back to me (they didn't pay any to mortgages!). Atty seemed to think we'd be ok. We decided that it was foolish to try to save the house - in todays' market - it was a bad investment. We used about half of the CH13 'refund' to pay cash for a 10-yr old used car to replace the vehicle to be surrendered.

Sep 08: New 341 hearing w/ Ch 7 Trustee. UST shows up and asks how long since we last paid our mortgage (Dec 07). Asks if we've found a place to live yet (we said no, which was true - was hoping to stay in house until foreclosure was completed). Asked what we were looking to pay in housing going forward. I threw out a number ($1500/mo).

Of course, 10 days later the UST filed a statement of presumed abuse citing 707(b), presumably after reviewing at what my Schedule J was going to look like after starting to pay the lower rent. After running the numbers myself, heck, it'll be nearly a 100% repayment plan to the unsecured creditors!

I have a call into my atty to discuss, but it sounds like they're going to push for conversion back to a 13 (can they do that if the case has already been converted once?), or dismiss.

The whole reason we started down this BK path was to save the house. We now have come to accept that we'll be moving at some point, regardless of whether we're in a BK status or not. If we stick with it, convert back to a 13, we end up paying like, 99% of our unsecured's (almost $80K), and we'll be on a very strict budget for the length of the plan.

We are VERY seriously considering letting the case be dismissed, and just fending for ourselves. We stay in the house until they tell us to get out, and in the meantime, make arrangements with the unsecured creditors to either get caught up, or 'settle' for something less than the full debt. Now whether they'll be willing to work with us is another question - perhaps engage one of the oft-advertised agencies that offer to 'settle' your debt for something less than full value?

The sale of the house will surely pay off the first mortgage, but will very likely leave about a $40K-$70K deficiency on the 2nd. In Ohio, my atty says they can only attempt to collect for 2 years after foreclosure, and they rarely bother, in his experience. My second is with Homecomings Financial, if that matters.

We'll let the car we planned to surrender get repo'd if necessary - but a quick check shows that Carmax may offer to buy it for just about what we owe on it! Probably better to do that, maybe pay a little bit out-of-pocket to cleanly get out of that loan rather than repo.

Our credit is already in the tank from the BK filings, so another few months of negative reporting by my creditors doesn't bother me. One thing I haven't checked is how a BK dismissal is recorded in your credit history. Surely the BK filing isn't 'removed' if your case gets dismissed, does it?

I've read a number of other postings, but haven't come across anyone that's been in my particular situation. I do appreciate your taking the time to read and give me your thoughts.

-Big E

I'm not going through all that you have said. Half of something, is better than all of nothing. I would attempt to stay 7 but if not, go 13. The car bit is good. Cleanly get out of that one but fast. You are in the right place for good advice, however not LEGAL advice. We are all "survivors" trying to help each other. You will be a survivor as well.

'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

HI! and Welcome!

Is your income too high for the means for the future (Disposable Income)? Is that the problem?
      Filed C7 Aug 31 2008
      341 Oct 8 2008
      Discharged Dec 9 2008

Comment

You got that right - we show 'ok' on the B22C - Line 59 is a large negative number.

But when it comes to Sch. J, once we plug in new housing costs, shows 'significant' disposable income. Now there are arguments that we should be able to claim the mortgages on the house on Sch. J, which my atty may or may not want to assert to the UST... If they do acknowledge that, they'll likely turn around and claim that the 'overall picture' of the case smacks of abuse and motion for dismissal/conversion anyway. I'm not terribly interested in fighting it at this point.

Staying in a 13 for the next 5 years will wreck our family emotionally; we had trouble with the 3 months that we WERE in it earlier this year. I'm not sure the trustee would approve a budget that we would be happy with. :-(

To reiterate - I understand nobody can dispense legal advice here - just looking for opinions or anecdotes from others who may have decided to forego the BK and try to work it out on their own.

I can always file another 13 later down the line if I'm unsuccessful in digging myself back out of the hole... not that I'd want to, of course.

Comment

WOW... Mr Big E... My husband and myself are almost in an identical situation as your... We did all paper work for a chapter 13 ( Indiana) to try to save our house primarily, and some back taxes also creditors from my husbands business that took a dive these past 5 years or so.. He was self employed but the business he was in has too much competion in this area ( small rural area) anyway.. our home is scheduled for sheriff's sale 9-30-08 (1 week from today to be exact) the chapter 13 plan our atty advised for us was virtually undoable as our job/work situation is not the norm. My hubby has a good paying job now doing the same type work he did before, but now employed by a much bigger company and is a supervisor there. I am also employed doing 3 diff. part time jobs each being a little over min wage... His job requires him to live away from home Mon-Fri The company puts him up in a hotel, but he has to pay for his food and gas... and I, back at home need food, etc also. Our atty kept stating that "the software" calculates the numbers for the means and that is what it is.. My husband did his own calculations and as soon as he saw what the plan payment was said "we can't possibly do this", maybe if we were living everyday under 1 roof... we have diff circumstances than the normal couple living under one roof... Our food allowance would have been aroun $50.00 a week for both of us... he has to buy his on the road ( and no, he does not eat much more than fast food). Our mort. is $1800.00 a month our plan would have been $4525.00 a month. Also as our luck always seems to work out , the company has been hit rather hard by all the money woos of the banking system so his hours have been drasticly cut the past couple of weeks ( we would have filed this coming Fri to save our home) now with his income cut in half we are certain we can not make the plan payments, so if advise from a few ( very financially successful people we know in the area we live in) we have decided to let the sale happen ( always that outside shot that someone will want to make an investment in our property, ther is still equity here, and let us rent here or buy again). We have found a nice (although much, much smaller) duplex, only 2 years old to rent. $700. a month plus a storage unit... it's the hardest thing we have ever had to do, and we have went thru alot in our 32 year marriage, we virtualy built our home and raised 3 kids here. My inheritance from my parents is wrapped into this home, but in the past 20 years of living here, because of the now failed business my husband had refinanced our mort 3 times and each time interest higher than the last.. we have been paying 11% interest for the past 8 years, and we have decided that it just isn't worth it. Our heart and soul is here at home, and we will make our own "plan" by contacting the creditors and keep up on our already approved payment plan to the IRS. Credit cards have never been an issue for us.. Just mainly the mort, taxes and creditors all attributed to the failed business. This is my first time to contribute to messages on here, but have been reading and gaining some very helpful insight for a few months now... good luck with what you decide to do Mr Big E... and wish us luck, I'm with you as we can also file down the line if we are unsuccessful or the job hours get cut less, I suppose we can then qualify for chapter 7.

Comment

See if you can find that new place to live and use actual numbers instead of guesses. It might help.

I don't know what else to suggest
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

After going several rounds with the UST, we decided to let our Chapter 7 case be dismissed. It's been 4 months.

The bankruptcy filing is still on our credit report. It took about 30 days for the phone calls to start up again. However, we just sent them C&D letters and now all we get is the occasional settlement offer letter.

Our house was foreclosed on in Sept. 2007. The 1st mtg was completely paid, the 2nd wasn't (90k) So between that and the credit card debt (65k) we need to do something.

My husband is quitting his job in 3 weeks. We will wait 6 months and then re-file the Chapter 7 again. We thought long and hard about it and firmly believe this was a better option than 5 years in a Chapter 13!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X