Which was harder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
    Actually, the most difficult part for me was admiting that I could no longer make the payments and work myself out of debt.
    I second that, once I knew I had to the rest was easy.
    Last edited by woohoogirl; 10-17-2008, 07:21 AM.
    Filed Ch 7 2/21/08
    Discharged 6/5/08!!!!

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."~ Roger Caras

Comment

went to my 1st meeting this week. no brainer. was shocked when the attorney told me I needed to buy a car right away then let the one I have go back to the bank since It will be payed off in a year.. I'm not late on anything due to balance transfers, and drawing a loan from my 401K (bad mistake). but i'm slowly circling the drain. from all my studying the best out come is pre-planning, and I have some time. So i'm now thinking mabee 6 months to file since I'm still paying everyone. I'll pull the plug on the CC's in about 2 months. attorney told me i should skip about 2 mortgage payments to conserve cash. I just can't bear to do that, as I'm keeping the house. So now i'm car shopping . so i'm working on a milstone plan, step by step.
      Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Hard to say for me..I did a search on BK probably 6 months ago and thought naw thats a bit over the top and poo-pooed the idea thinking I can do this!!! Yea right..
        July 1st came and I paid all my bills and then realized that was it for me...no more money to pay the cc's next month and where was I going to get the money to pay rent on both the bus and my apt.
        Then the guilt and anxiety came with waking up all hours of the night and crying most of the days.
        Making my first appoint with an attorney was soooo aweful I couldnt stop crying and they dont have KLEENIX and these offices...
        I was on a roll and went to see several more and the crying was less and less, but at least I brought my own Kleenix.
        It really tough to find the right attorney. Bill on here was kind enough to turn me on to his. Someone else on here was not kind at all when I asked for their attorney, since they loved him so much. Still havent plunked down the money to retain yet.
        Holding all the calls and not speaking to any of them now, but the calls are non stop. Come Nov it'll get worse since the last two large cc bills will be in default. Citi gave me two months of non payment. First week in Nov when they dont see any money then I'll get more calls. I plan on filing Jan/Feb unless of course I win the lottery, hey which still may happen.

Comment

Retaining the attorney is proving to be more difficult for me.

I had my first attorney consultation months ago and decided after that to just stick it out and not file. After several months of barely eeking by and going back and forth in my mind about filing, I had a 2nd consultation last week. The plan is to file in November, but I haven't officially retained the attorney yet. I'm still, in my head, trying to figure out any way out of this other than BK. I really don't want to file, yet I know deep down that I should. It's scaring the crud out of me though.
          Filed Ch. 7 (no asset): 12/30/2008
          341 Meeting: 01/26/2009
          Last Date for Objections: 03/27/2009
          Discharged & Closed: 03/30/2009

Comment

I think admitting to the mistakes we'd made in conjunction with the misfortunes that we experienced (me losing a high-paying job, discovering through unisured hospitalization that hubby was diabetic) was the hardest part.

Wish I'd looked into BK sooner,tho. We wouldn't have used up the 401K staying afloat, nor run up the CCs.

We didn't choose to file until it was clear that we were out of money for anything except house, cars necessities.

Painted ourselves into a corner.

Filing was a relief.
            Ch13 filed 10-16-08
            341 meeting 11-21-08
            Repayment plan meeting 12-19-08

Comment

Why do attorney's advise a new car? What circumstances call for that?
              Chapter 7 Discharged 06/2009

Comment

Speaking on my dad's behalf I would have to say making the initial appointment was the hardest thing to do. He was admitting to himself that he had to much debt and had no way of getting out of it. He didn't even want to go to the first lawyer my parents went to but since he's going on his third it's gotten easier.

Comment

Neither was really hard, I had the sheriff's department after me because of a judgment. I needed relief, I am just gonna be struggling to make that $2,343 payment every month, it's gonna be really tough!!!

About the car thing, they added mine in to the bankrupcy, I had under a year left on both loans and are making me give them that money for the 5 years.
                  Entered debt settlement in 2006
                  Filed bankrupcy in 2008
                  Stuck with $2,343 payment in 2009

Comment

First step is always the hardest, isn't it?

Comment

Now that I've admitted that I will probably have to file bankruptcy, the thought of going to a lawyer makes me feel sick. So, that will be the hardest - just making the appt and going.
                      It was hard enough to register and start posting on here.

Comment

It was hard to make that first appointment. Then it was very hard not to pay the bills and have them calling all the time, I just hated that, I felt (still do) like such a loser and like a semi-criminal. The feeling of having failed, etc.
                        Filed Chap. 7 1/11/09
                        341 2/14/09; later declared asset case
                        Discharged 5/18/09
                        Asset case - still no payment plan proposed

Comment

Neither of those were hard, its "really going forward with filing" that has been hard.
                          Filed August 09, all payments made as of July 12th, 2013.....Waiting on final audit and discharge!

Comment

Making the first appointment was the hardest. It's admitting defeat. It also requires that you take a long hard look and realize that you have mismanaged your money. Once the decision is made, all you want to do is fast forward so you can breathe again.
                            Filed: 5/7/2009 :cry: 341: 6/9/2009 :yahoo:
                            Discharged: 8/12/2009 :clapping::clapping::clapping:
                            My advice is based on personal experience only

Comment

Finding an attorney that we felt was both competent and within our price range.
                              We knew what we had to do, there was no question about it and no other option for us.
                              Why be embarrassed? It's in the law for a reason folks.

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                                Definately making an appointment was the most difficult thing.

Actually, the most difficult part for me was admiting that I could no longer make the payments and work myself out of debt.

DITTO for me too! This was/is such an emotionally draining ordeal. I threw up after I got off the phone when I made that first call to schedule an appointment. After I saw the lawyer I didn't sleep for days and was an emotional wreck. I guess the hardest part too is knowing/worrying people like friends and family will this I am a deadbeat. I have always had a terrific job, wonderful home, 842 credit score, but due to a big mistake marriage, then divorce and getting totally screwed in the process, this happened.....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X