worst thing that happened to you when filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worst thing that happened to you when filing

I know all the obvious 'bad' stuff .. credit in the dumps, emotionally exhausting, feeling like a failure etc but what I want to know is what are 'specific' things that happened to you? Items repossesed? needed to move away for ____reason? lost business? things not discharged you thought would be?? other hardships you encounted because you filed BK.

just a note ... I am considering filing a chapter 7 on CC's - I will have no choice soon since I can't make the min. payments due to husband being out of work for 18 mos (no paychecks for this time ... ) long complicated stuff but I keep reading how GREAT it is to have all the debt releived ... but I know there must be some stories about what 'bad' happened ... anyone???

TIA

Well, the worst thing is I guess that my DH checked himself into drug rehab 2 mos after we filed Chapt 13. Don't get me wrong. It's good that he went for treatment. Just bad in that he was self employed at the time, so he had no income while he was gone, and for quite a while afterwards.

Thank GOD we had a decent trustee, and a lawyer I could tell the truth to.......we were able to pay $100/mo (instead of the $680) for 4 mos - as a good faith gesture, and then begin paying $800/mo until the arrears from those 4 mos were caught up.

Also I had family who lent me money (mom & sis) to help me while he was away.
    That was a TOUGH time for sure. Things are a bit smoother these days........37 mos down, 23 to go!!!!!!!

K
    You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

Our name appearing in the paper then having some people snicker about it. What a way to find out who your 'friends' really are.
      Filed BK (Ch. 7) 6/2/08
      Discharged!! 9/24/08
      Closed..the end! 10/1/08

Comment

Originally posted by fljb View Post
        I know all the obvious 'bad' stuff .. credit in the dumps, emotionally exhausting, feeling like a failure etc but what I want to know is what are 'specific' things that happened to you? Items repossesed? needed to move away for ____reason? lost business? things not discharged you thought would be?? other hardships you encounted because you filed BK.

just a note ... I am considering filing a chapter 7 on CC's - I will have no choice soon since I can't make the min. payments due to husband being out of work for 18 mos (no paychecks for this time ... ) long complicated stuff but I keep reading how GREAT it is to have all the debt releived ... but I know there must be some stories about what 'bad' happened ... anyone???

TIA
        FLJB, welcome. Do you like to read horror stories, too? My own case was extremely boring in its simplicity, but if you absolutely MUST scare yourself, look for posts by HappyIra, AngelinaCat & AngelinaCatHub, and, it seems, everyone in central FLA. There must be something in the water down there that makes trustees cranky. Yikes...and Flameout, who just now posted a "discharged" message that isn't as happy as it sounds.

Honestly, though, I don't think you'll find many people here who wish they hadn't done it. There was someone recently (I'm sorry, I've forgotten his handle) whose wife was denied a job because the bankruptcy was on her record. They knew in her industry that this could be a killer, and they thought they'd kept her out of it, but it didn't work out that way. That last one was a direct result of filing, and it was awful.

But mostly people are subjected to difficult experiences (mostly dishonest or inept lawyers, greedy trustees, and the consequences of our own mistakes) on their way to a fresh start, and it all turns out to be worth it in the end.

Is there anyone here who wishes they hadn't filed?
        Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
        341 meeting: July 18, 2008
        last day for objections: September 16, 2008
        DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

On January 14, 2008 a migraine that lasted 10 days hit me. I had migraines approx. 24+ days each month since then until June. I pretty much just say I had a 6 month migraine. Now I'm only down with migraines about 10 days per month. I'm hoping it's all from the stress of our business failing and having to file BK7. Time will tell. Stress truely does take a toll on your health!
          May 5, 2008 - Filed Ch7
          June 13, 2008 - 341 Meeting
          August 12, 2008 - Last day for objections... August 18, 2008 - Discharged!
          August 26, 2008 - CASE CLOSED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X