top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Christmas gifts before filing (not on credit)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Christmas gifts before filing (not on credit)...

I'm signing the papers on Dec. 10 and will be filing Ch.7 within a week of that date. Since I recently stopped paying credit cards, I do have a small bit of extra cash available after all my other financial obligations are met for the month. I'd like to do some Christmas shopping with it. Nothing extravagant. And of course I wouldn't use credit cards. If I spent in the range of $100 to $150 on Christmas gifts right before filing, do you think that would raise a red flag with the trustee? Should I wait until December, since the lookback won't include the month of December? Thanks.
    Filed Ch. 7 (no asset): 12/30/2008
    341 Meeting: 01/26/2009
    Last Date for Objections: 03/27/2009
    Discharged & Closed: 03/30/2009

Dear WorkingItOut, you are worrying too much. You will be fine, and from our own situations, and others that I have observed here on the forum, the trustee is not going to pick you bank check register to death.

Go and make your purchases, and have a good Christmas. I would suggest if clothes are part of it, check with the thrift stores. You can find first class items there still wearing the original store's price tag at times.

Second-hand furniture/appliance stores work well also.

If you are 'handy', make crafts, or cakes or other 'goodies' for the family.

Good luck to you, and God Bless~~~
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thank you so much Cat! I am definitely shopping the deals and will check out the thrift stores.

I haven't been too terribly worried about this stuff, but as the date approaches, I'm finding myself questioning every little thing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Hi WIO,

Just use cash/debit and you'll be fine. $100-150 isn't a large amount, so go for it! I agree, now that I am on a cash-only basis (since May), like you, I scrutinize even the smallest purchases!!

Happy Holidays!
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Thank you Liz!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingItOut View Post
            I'm signing the papers on Dec. 10 and will be filing Ch.7 within a week of that date. Since I recently stopped paying credit cards, I do have a small bit of extra cash available after all my other financial obligations are met for the month. I'd like to do some Christmas shopping with it. Nothing extravagant. And of course I wouldn't use credit cards. If I spent in the range of $100 to $150 on Christmas gifts right before filing, do you think that would raise a red flag with the trustee? Should I wait until December, since the lookback won't include the month of December? Thanks.
            So they do not look at your bank statement for the month you are filing? I thought you could only have a small amount of money in your account which means they would check it out? Sorry, I am just confused now! lol

Comment

Originally posted by okiemom2008 View Post
              So they do not look at your bank statement for the month you are filing? I thought you could only have a small amount of money in your account which means they would check it out? Sorry, I am just confused now! lol

I was talking about the lookback for the means test. I think they do check your balance on the day you filed, but I don't think they look at all your expenses and income for the month you filed (just the 6 months prior).

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                Dear WorkingItOut, you are worrying too much. You will be fine, and from our own situations, and others that I have observed here on the forum, the trustee is not going to pick you bank check register to death.

Go and make your purchases, and have a good Christmas. I would suggest if clothes are part of it, check with the thrift stores. You can find first class items there still wearing the original store's price tag at times.

One of the things I sell in my store is antiques. People might not realize second hand stuff might really be a valuable antique in disquise.
                Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post

One of the things I sell in my store is antiques. People might not realize second hand stuff might really be a valuable antique in disquise.
                  Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X