This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we "deserve" a clean slate?

In another thread elsewhere on the board, someone made a comment that no one really "deserves" a clean slate, just because we want one. I wonder what your thoughts are on that - do you deserve a clean slate? Do you feel you're getting away with something you shouldn't?

YES - we all deserve it.
    Filed C7 Aug 31 2008
    341 Oct 8 2008
    Discharged Dec 9 2008

Comment

I'm sorry, but I feel that the system is set up to get you in debt over your head. I felt no remorse whatsoever filing BK. I've paid so much in fees and interest my whole life, why shouldn't I get a fresh start?

The system is set up so that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. People who make up the middle class pay the most in fees and interest on debt payments in this country. How is it OK when I pay a bill 12 hours late, capital one/whomever gets $30? THIRTY %$@&* DOLLARS! For not knowing where their money was for 12 hours? What interest rate is that? I don't care what I "signed up" for. If I signed up to have a finger cut off whenever I went over my limit, I guess that would be fine too?

Years ago, if your TV broke, you took it to a repair shop.
      Today, you go buy a new TV on credit.

The powers that be know people depend on credit to make ends meet and to pay for things we are constantly told we "need", like new televisions. They abuse their power. I think everyone should file BK
      Last edited by Noodle Mama; 12-05-2008, 08:50 AM.
      Filed Chp 7 Pro-Se 8/1/08
      341 - 09/03/08
      Discharged 11/5/08

Comment

Originally posted by Noodle Mama View Post
        I'm sorry, but I feel that the system is set up to get you in debt over your head. I felt no remorse whatsoever filing BK. I've paid so much in fees and interest my whole life, why shouldn't I get a fresh start?

The system is set up so that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. People who make up the middle class pay the most in fees and interest on debt payments in this country. How is it OK when I pay a bill 12 hours late, capital one/whomever gets $30? THIRTY %$@&* DOLLARS! For not knowing where their money was for 12 hours? What interest rate is that? I don't care what I "signed up" for. If I signed up to have a finger cut off whenever I went over my limit, I guess that would be fine too?

Twenty years ago, if your TV broke, you took it to a repair shop.
        Today, you buy a new TV on credit and you can't find a TV repair shop anywhere.

The powers that be know people depend on credit to make ends meet and to pay for things we are constantly told we "need", like new televisions. They abuse their power. I think everyone should file BK
        Perfectly said!

It is time for another french revolution
        I am in a very aggressive mood today

Comment

The system is set up so that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. People who make up the middle class pay the most in fees and interest on debt payments in this country. How is it legal that if I pay a bill 12 hours late, capital one/whomever gets $30? THIRTY %$@&* DOLLARS! I don't care what I "signed up" for. If I signed up to have a finger cut off whenever I went over my limit, I guess that would be fine too?

They know people depend on credit to make ends meet, and they abuse their power. I think everyone should file BK
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by wonkettegirl View Post
            In another thread elsewhere on the board, someone made a comment that no one really "deserves" a clean slate, just because we want one. I wonder what your thoughts are on that - do you deserve a clean slate? Do you feel you're getting away with something you shouldn't?
            it isn't so much as having a clean slate as it is having a second chance & everyone deserves that.

it isn't so much a fresh start either as it is getting a second chance to try and make things better.

2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              We may just get that wish that everyone goes bankrupt.
              I think she means (not sure) everyone needs to experience it, so they all know what we go through when they make their jabs because it is no cake walk.

Comment

Originally posted by wonkettegirl View Post
                I wonder what your thoughts are on that - do you deserve a clean slate?
                Whether one "deserves" it or not is irrelevant. If you are eligible for bankruptcy protection, then you have the right to seek relief under this federal law.
                9/16/08 - Filed Chapter 7
                10/20/08 - 341 Meeting
                12/19/08 - Last Day for Creditor Objections
                1/5/09 - Discharge Order; 1/13/09 Case Closed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                  I think she means (not sure) everyone needs to experience it, so they all know what we go through when they make their jabs because it is no cake walk.
                  You got that right. What irks my gurk is seeing repeaters here. I do not walk in their shoes but I sure have learned my lesson's. I am thinking of going C13 in February when my Discharged 7 will be closed. This will allow me to structure a payback of 30k IRS. 'Hub
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                    Noodle Ma: You aren’t determined in your opinion are you? LOL

We may just get that wish that everyone goes bankrupt. Not too many on this site are remembering a single job family as it was in the 50’s. I remember my Mom being a Mother and making me peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and I actually walked to school. My Dad made good money building tractors at International Harvester for $80 a week. We had all we needed. Then our IRS steps in and it takes two workers to bring in a ‘living’. One works for the taxes, the other works for sustenance of life. Who suffers? The children who are now cloistered, uneducated, turnkey children who in many instances see their parents in between commercials while they scoff up microwavable crap.

Have you ever had a pot roast Mom made? Not Mom pushed the button. Only my opinion. ‘Hub
                    I totally agree with you. I stayed home with my daughter until she was 12 months old and had the time of my life. I planned on staying home until she was three and went to preschool, but I had to go back to work early. I just work part time thank goodness. I cannot imagine working full time and being a mom, although I know many women have no choice.

Something interesting - My boss, who is in his 60's, says he remembers a time when a standard mortgage was 10 years. Then it went to 20 years. Of course now, you see 30 and even 40 year mortgages. Its just crazy how much attitudes toward debt have changed.
                    Last edited by Noodle Mama; 12-05-2008, 09:15 AM.
                    341 - 09/03/08
                    Discharged 11/5/08

Comment

Years ago, if your TV broke, you took it to a repair shop.
                      Today, you go buy a new TV on credit.
                      Or you could simply save few a new tv... seems like a better idea to me.

Not arguing the clean slate... not sure that we deserve it, but it is required for some of us to get out of the prison that we create for ourselves, have created for us by things beyond our control, or both.

Late fees, interest and penalties are disclosed up front. While it may be a big fee or seem out of line, YOU SIGN THAT YOU AGREE WHEN YOU APPLY. Nobody FORCES you to use credit. We've all decided that credit makes life easier and we WANT things that we otherwise can't have. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

I've done enough stupid damn things in my life and I hate to see others who don't see the error of using credit for things they don't NEED. It's not the systems that's messed up, its the consumers. Without needy consumers who will do anything to fulfill every whim, the system changes.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradomrg View Post
                        Or you could simply save few a new tv... seems like a better idea to me.

Not arguing the clean slate... not sure that we deserve it, but it is required for some of us to get out of the prison that we create for ourselves, have created for us by things beyond our control, or both.

Late fees, interest and penalties are disclosed up front. While it may be a big fee or seem out of line, YOU SIGN THAT YOU AGREE WHEN YOU APPLY. Nobody FORCES you to use credit. We've all decided that credit makes life easier and we WANT things that we otherwise can't have. THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

I've done enough stupid damn things in my life and I hate to see others who don't see the error of using credit for things they don't NEED. It's not the systems that's messed up, its the consumers. Without needy consumers who will do anything to fulfill every whim, the system changes.

Yes, instant gratification. I need what I want when I want it. Things you save for are more treasured. Things are only things. Junk. You surrender freedom every swipe of a credit card. You sell your soul to Citi. 'Hub

Comment

Sure, that sounds nice, but the system IS BROKE.

People do not get taught to save for things. Every time you look up there is a new model of this, or a new improved version of that. Magazines are splashed with advertisements with "You deserve it!" taglines. You get taught that if you work hard then you DESERVE a new $1100 television. You get taught that if you buy that new $500 cellphone you will become popular and more attractive.

As far as things being disclosed - its no mistake that these "disclosures" are often in size 2 font and almost appear as an afterthought. They know people do not read the fine print. The financial industry made $17 billion dollars in fees last year. How can that not be taken into consideration?

If I were a rich person and I went into a poor neighborhood and handed out hundred dollar bills to everyone with a note that said (in tiny print) "If you take this $100 you will owe me $200 in two weeks" how many poor people would not take the money? The poor person would think about their hungry kids at home and take the money, and worry about the payback later.

The person giving out the hundred dollar bills has the responsibility to not abuse less fortunate people just because they can.
                          341 - 09/03/08
                          Discharged 11/5/08

Comment

You have insulted poor people. Do not equate being poor with being ignorant.

People in all walks of life blame others and the system for their inability to face responsibility.

Comment

I'm sorry if I did....but having been "poor" myself, I know what you will sign up for when you are desperate. Has nothing to do with being ignorant.
                              341 - 09/03/08
                              Discharged 11/5/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X