Going to the Doctor after BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to the Doctor after BK

Quick question ... I received a letter from my doctor's office saying that they received my bankruptcy, but will not extend any credit in the future - that I will have to pay when I visit. I was expecting something like that; however, I was wondering if anyone knows how this works with insurance? Will I have to pay the full amount upfront? How will they know what to charge? I'm confused ...

Call them and ask them what they are requiring. I would think that if you can prove you have insurance coverage and all you owe is the co-pay (HMO or PPO), then that is all you have to pay. If you have like 80/20 coverage or something with a deductible that you have to file first and then get reimbursed, then they will make you pay for the visit in full, file the ins yourself. I'm sure it depends what type of ins you have, but you should call them for what they expect.

Comment

I have the 80/20 coverage - crap, this is one thing I didn't think about before filing!

Comment

Was your doctor one of your creditors? If so, would switching doctor's make a difference?

Comment

Were you making payments to your physician? You can always resume payments after your discharge. It might soften their stance for how they handle your visits in the future. Probably depends on how well you know your doc... If you don't know them that well, then changing doctors would probably be your best bet.

Comment

I had two bouts with a cancer scare, the bills were almost 10K so I had to file on them so payments are not a choice in this matter ...

Does anyone know if switching would make a difference? In all honesty, I haven't seen the doctor since my last bout in September because I knew I owed them so much already ...

Comment

You need to contact your insurance company and find out what the contract they have with the doctor provides for.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X