top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you gone without paying your cc bills without being sued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long have you gone without paying your cc bills without being sued?

I'm curious how long some of you went without paying your cc bills before filing and did you get sued or threatened to have your wages garnished (if you live in a wage garnishment state).

All of my research say's that 90 days and they will either sue you or once it goes to collections garnishment may proceed. I'm also confused on garnishment, would this have to be approved in a court in front of a judge or would it just pop up one day at your employer?

I stopped paying in mid May '08 and haven't been sued (knock on wood) yet...
    72k debt. It just depends on your creditors.
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
      I stopped paying in mid May '08 and haven't been sued (knock on wood) yet...
      72k debt. It just depends on your creditors.
      can i ask who your creditor is?

Comment

We stopped making full payments May & June of last year - 10 accts - combined total just hit 180k this month due to all the tacked on interest! No threats of lawsuits at all yet - I've had one account referred out to a collector who has not been aggressive at all, was told two others were charged off, but I haven't heard from anyone who might have those yet. My lawyer said it would probably be at least another 6 months before we get sued, but we'll be filing before that.
        BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

At the time May '08, here's the break down:
          Most aggressive:
          Amex: $12K (giving out "offers" left and right, no bites from me )
          Chase: $27K

BofA, 2 cards: $14k & 6K
          Discover: 6k (haven't heard a peep from these people)
          1st National: 7k (nothing from these people either)

Who knows what the balances are now!

Although I haven't paid in over 8 months, none of my accounts have been sold. They have been "transferred" to collections, but not sold (that I'm aware of). I am expecting the creditors to "challenge" some of the debts because of large balance transfers, etc. We'll see...
          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I stopped paying in early 2004 on all my cards and only got sued by one creditor in early 2008 (right before the SOL was up). My cards all had relatively low balances when they were charged off (less than $1k each). The creditors were FCNB, Applied Bank (Orchard), Cap One (they are the ones that sued) and First Premier.
            Filed Ch. 7 Pro Se: 12/11/08
            341 Meeting: 1/7/09
            Trustee's Report of No Distribution: 1/9/09
            Discharged: 3/10/09

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
              At the time May '08, here's the break down:
              I am expecting the creditors to "challenge" some of the debts because of large balance transfers, etc. We'll see...
              Off topic but I wouldn't worry too much about the BT unless they came all at once. Trustees look for patterns and if you can show that you typically borrow big sums and then paid them off, you will be OK. It's only transfers that are big AND unusual for the customer habits that draw a red flag.

Well, unless you get an ass of a trustee :-)
              So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
              Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
              Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
              And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

a solid 6 months.
                Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
                Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
                341 Meeting 01/05/2009
                Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

Originally posted by jennordhavn View Post
                  I stopped paying in early 2004 on all my cards and only got sued by one creditor in early 2008 (right before the SOL was up). My cards all had relatively low balances when they were charged off (less than $1k each). The creditors were FCNB, Applied Bank (Orchard), Cap One (they are the ones that sued) and First Premier.
                  Why did cap one sue you? We hav e 5 cards with them. They are all about 1000.00 balances

Comment

About 6 months and only one has sued so far Banco Popular.
                    "I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care"
                    Filed Chapter 7 January 25th 2010
                    341 Hearing March 4th 2010
                    Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

i stopped paying in mid 2006 and never got sued by credit card people. (filed my bk in mid 2008).
                      Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
                      (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

I had 8 months at the time of filing and no one had sued.
                        Filed Ch 7: 12-31-08 in IL (Equifax) 469
                        341: 2-13-09 --- Held and Concluded 538
                        Discharge: 4-15-09 - 601 NOW
                        I came, I went, I saw, I was discharged. Thank god for this board.

Comment

i stopped paying everything in 2001, mbna sued after 4 years, a jdb that got a old providian acct tried suing me in 2007 but failed,judge dismissed it., all the others just did the usual ranting. except for judgement, all will fall off credit report this year.

Comment

Originally posted by okiemom2008 View Post
                            Why did cap one sue you? We hav e 5 cards with them. They are all about 1000.00 balances
                            I don't why they sued. The balance that was charged off was like $800 something but with fees and such I believe it was up to $1500+. They kept threatening to sue very early on, and I told them I understood their position and to do what they had to do, but they didn't file the suit for 4 years. Then they filed in a venue I was no longer living in (I had sent their lawyer my new address via a DV letter the month before they filed) and filed in regular civil court when they could have sued me in small claims. They must have been notified of my BK electronically because they filed a dismissal of the lawsuit the same day I filed!
                            Filed Ch. 7 Pro Se: 12/11/08
                            341 Meeting: 1/7/09
                            Trustee's Report of No Distribution: 1/9/09
                            Discharged: 3/10/09

Comment

Amazing, I can't believe how long some of you have went. Surely your phones were ringing off the hook and the mail was filled with letters!

I just wonder how you pay atty fees to your bk lawyer if you did not file yet?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X