How long til I can open new account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long til I can open new account?

I am planning on filing Wednesday. I would like to open and use accounts at a credit union since I agree with their philosophy much more than for-fee banks these days. I have a checking account with National City--that is the account listed on my bankruptcy paperwork. I get paid (live check) on Thursday.

My question: how long should I wait after filing to open checking and savings accounts with a credit union? I intend to keep the National City account open through the bkr without adding to it. It has been drained to about $15 in anticipation of my filing.

There is a credit union I qualify for on my way home from work. It would be very nice to just take the paycheck there Thursday (1 day after filing), open the accounts and take the first steps to my fresh start. However, I am concerned that a trustee might look at this as deceitful. I intend to bring the statements for the new accounts to my 341 in case the trustee asks for them.

So, is it OK to go ahead with the new accounts?
    I think of my bankruptcy less as "walking away" and more as "gnawing my leg off to get out of a trap".

I would open it before the filing.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I can't. I don't have money to open them before the filing. And then, on my paperwork, I would list 2 checking accounts and a savings account. That will probably send up red flags.
      I think of my bankruptcy less as "walking away" and more as "gnawing my leg off to get out of a trap".

Comment

Lots of people have multiple accounts-I wouldn't worry at all about that sending up red flags.

Originally posted by willowhare View Post
        I can't. I don't have money to open them before the filing. And then, on my paperwork, I would list 2 checking accounts and a savings account. That will probably send up red flags.

Comment

Did you check the requirements with the CU? Sometimes they have a waiting period after filing BK before you can open an account with them. Each one is different though, so check out the specific waiting period for you. Also you can open the account with a very, very small deposit typically $5.00 or so in some CU's
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X