Is this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this right?

I am in the process of looking for an attorney to assist me in my bankruptcy. I spoke to one attorney who said he charges according to the amount of creditors you have. So he charges roughly around $200 per creditor. I have about 15 so that's $3000 in lawyer fees not including filing and classes. Does this sound right?

I live in NJ but this is a NY attorney.

I have never heard of such a thing... I interviewed many attorneys who charged from $1500 to $2500, We ended up going with a firm that charged $2500 because we felt we connected better with them and they had more experience. I would get a few more consults.

Comment

No - that does not sound right. Most of the attorney's have a flat fee for Ch 7 and another flat fee for Ch 13. (Plus the filing fees etc).

Check around for other attorney's -
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

He's a Scam Artist ... Fly-by-nite lawyer.

Comment

THank you!!!!!

I had a feeling it wasn't right. I have more appointments next week hopefully those will work out better.

I am so happy for this forum because I learned that this planning stage is the most important time so I'm being very careful about the attorney I choose.

Comment

Yeah that doesnt sound right at all.
            Were in the process of filing for bankrupsy and we have found an attourney that charges $1300 to file chapter 7.
            Kristin

Comment

Actually, that is not an unreasonable fee structure. That sort of fee structure is a bit outdated. It was more common when the attorney was required to notice creditors directly; but since the courts send the notice, it's not really an issue. I still see hybrid fee structures, e.g. flat fee up to 15 creditors, then $200 per creditor after that.

The problem with that fee structure is the amount of work required in a BK is no longer really related to the number of creditors.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the attorney is a scam artist or anything like that, but I would press him on why are charges a fee based on # creditors.
              Last edited by HHM; 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I think you should go with your gut on this, but I can see how that fee schedule would work.

Our atty will not quote an exact fee until he has reviewed all of our information, including a narrative history. Because DH had a high income and high debt he said that he'll have to work a bit harder to ensure we get the best results. DH's income has taken a huge hit so it does look better to the courts.

I really researched and when to the consult with a lot of knowledge. He knew he was not talking to a dummy I really set it all out for him and looked at how he handled it all. When leaving I asked "Do you believe in me and my family?" He was a bit surprised but said he honestly understood how this all came to be. He knows I'll have my eye on him.

By the end of next week we will know more.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X