bankruptcy and hospital bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bankruptcy and hospital bills

What happens after we file and include the hospital bills. Will the hospital deny us services because of this. We are in ohio if this matters and filing a 13
    thanks

I doubt it will, however, no doctor or hospital HAS to serve you unless you have a life threatening emergency, then they MUST perform for that. They need not follow up though. Since you are going 13, they will get paid in some way. If they do cut you off, ask your Trustee if you can reaffirm their current and future debt. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Any hospital that receives any public funds cannot deny you service, but purely private hospitals may do so.

Comment

I had 2 hospital visits included in my BK, totaling $900.

I asked this questions of my lawyer as well.
        She said as long as I have insurance and need medical care, they can not deny.
        Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
        Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
        341 Meeting 01/05/2009
        Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
          Any hospital that receives any public funds cannot deny you service, but purely private hospitals may do so.
          This is so true.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

No hospital can deny services in a life or limb threatening emergency. Public or private. My dad walked into a private hospital in the midst of a heart attack with no insurance and $2 in his wallet and the attending wanted to turn him away. Luckily, a cardiologist realized that my dad was having a heart attack and saved him. The hospital apologized profusely in hopes of avoiding a lawsuit. We really thought about suing them..as he would have died without treatment right away...but the cardiologist was so great (and is still his dr) we decided against it. But they got a big visit from the State. Even thought they are private, they still have regulations too.

I wouldn't worry about it. Think about how many people go in without insurance or an ability to pay and they still get treatment.

Good luck.
            Filed - 12/24/08 (Merry Christmas Credit Cards!)
            341 - 2/5/09
            Confirmation - 3/13/09....Happy Dance!!!

Comment

I have had the same questions. My husband recently (November 2008) had a heart attack and was in the hospital twice. The medical bill (we have no health insurance) total was $53,000.00 just for the hospital. There are several thousands more with the doctor's etc.

This along with credit cards, etc. will force us into bankrupcy within a few weeks.

The hospital's business office is trying to work out a finacial aid for us, but with my husband and myself on SS benefits, we cannot pay for the other bills.

We will have to BR his cardiologist and I'm sure he will not do anymore after care for my husband, etc.

So, please know that others are out here with the same problems.

Many prayers coming your way.

Comment

Medical Expenses contribute to many bankruptcies, by the time I'd filed I had paid off my medical bills though so did not include them.

In life and death no hospital can legally turn you away.

For other care as HHM says no hospital receiving public funds can turn you away. (Private ones though can)
                May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X