top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filing Bankruptcy and Private Student Loans (HELP!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing Bankruptcy and Private Student Loans (HELP!)

Hello,
    I am a newbie here. Between myself and my husband we have about $140K in private student loans. My husband's are in forbearance at the time. However my have been due for a few months. There is no way I can afford to pay what they are asking. However I do send in to the original creditor what I can monthly.

We do have other debt and am not having problems paying that. The collection agency (for the private student loans) is threatening me every which way but Sunday.

I have contacted a BK attorney. However he prefers to do consultations in personl. I just need to know if these Private SL can be included in a Bankruptcy?

BTW...I live in Texas. I have been reading up on what they can and can do referring garnishments, etc. However I need to do something, the calls are borderline harrassment.

Thanks

Hello, I'm not an expert but I'll give you my experience. I'm in Texas also. I am filing next week (ch 7) and my student loan will NOT be included for discharge. It can't unless I file a special motion (advesarial) where a special hearing is held together with the texas guaranteed student loan folks to argue my case. Also alot more costs involved although I didn't get a quote.

My lawyer said we could "try" for it and in my case it MIGHT very well be discharged but MAKE NOTE of this....I am fighting stage 4 cancer!! This is the only reason he would even entertain taking on such a battle and very possible we could still lose since they could say since I now get disability payments and don't work, they could be paid something from that source.

So unless I could pay alot more to fight it for a "MIGHT get discharged", it makes no sense. And I have no extra money anyway. My point is you have to show that continuing to pay would be a hardship for you and that has to be pretty excessive from what I've been able to find.

There are hardship forbearances and deferments available and I urge you to get in touch with them and discuss your situation. They have been great with me in the past 10yrs that I've needed help. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for the information! I am sorry to hear about your cancer.

I am just at a loss of what to do. There is absoloutely know way I can afford to pay these private SL. These aren't federal ones, my federal ones are in economic hardship deferment.

I have been doing some reading and you are right, it seems there are more hoops to jump through to get SL (any kind) discharged.

I just don't know what to do....I continue to send what I can to the orginal creditor.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X