How long for credit score to imrove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long for credit score to imrove?

I would like to refinance my home but my credit score is too low (680-700) to qualify for the best rates because of my $100K in credit card debts (still current).

I think I can get my hands on about $35K in cash to pay down my credit cards. How long would it take for my credit score to improve once the debt is reduced?

How do you plan to get your hands on $35K cash?
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I'll guess: From a 401k.

Comment

FHA will do a refinance 2 years after a BK. That's probably not the answer you are looking for though. If it were me, I wouldn't take money from a retirement and pay that much cc debt.
        6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
        10/06/2009 Discharged
        01/24/2011 Closed

Comment

Big mistake to cash out a 401k.

Why is refinancing the mortgage your top priority? Are you here because you are exploring BK options? If so, forget the refi and forget the $100K unsecured debt.

I would think a 780 - 800 FICO would get you a pretty good interest rate.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I have no intention of touching my 401k, especially at its current value.

My wife resigned from her job 3 years ago. She is 41 but can cash out her $55K pension with a 10% penality plus taxes and clear about $35K.

If she waits until 59-1/2, it will be worth $1000 per month for the rest of her life.

I haven't run a financial analysis, but it SEEMS LIKE paying off $35K in credit card debt at 15% now then qualifying for a 4.5% refinance is better than $1000 per month 18 years from now.

My question is:
            How long after I pay our CC debt down from $100K to $60K, will there be an improvement in the credit score?

Thanks.

Comment

Response to Ohiofiler

I have $100K in unsecured debt. My wife has $45K in unsecured debt.

I am still current on everything with a credit score around 690. I hope I do not have to file BK but am positioning myself now so that I can make it through a BK as well as possible if I have to. For instance, this knowledge kept me from making a payment to a family member that would have been considered preferential.

In my state the homestead exemption is only $25K. I have $150K in equity. If I can transfer some of my debt to the house it will be less likely to be taken.

I hope to use the home equity to pay down my debts but none of hers. She is unemployed and doesn't need a credit score anyway. Our plan is for her to file only (if necessary) and shed about 1/3 of our combined debt.

I may have to move to another state for work in a year or two so I want to keep for credit score healthy for now to ensure I qualify for a home loan.

Does this plan seem sound?

Comment

Originally posted by HalfPaycut View Post
                I have $100K in unsecured debt. My wife has $45K in unsecured debt.

I am still current on everything with a credit score around 690. I hope I do not have to file BK but am positioning myself now so that I can make it through a BK as well as possible if I have to. For instance, this knowledge kept me from making a payment to a family member that would have been considered preferential.

In my state the homestead exemption is only $25K. I have $150K in equity. If I can transfer some of my debt to the house it will be less likely to be taken.

I hope to use the home equity to pay down my debts but none of hers. She is unemployed and doesn't need a credit score anyway. Our plan is for her to file only (if necessary) and shed about 1/3 of our combined debt.

I may have to move to another state for work in a year or two so I want to keep for credit score healthy for now to ensure I qualify for a home loan.

Does this plan seem sound?
                You haven't provided enough detail to offer a strong opinion on your situation. Are you certain you have $150K equity in the home? What is your income today? What are your monthly expenses?

You may be a good candidate for a Chapter 13.

I would not mess with a pension. Why pay $20K to access it now?

I would not worry about what-ifs 2 years from now. If you filed BK today, your FICO score could well be the same in 2 years as it is today.

Comment

Yes I am certain about the equity. I had an appraisal.

I don't see the benefit of filing BK13 if I can do negotiate a debt settlement after the refinance (as long as I qualify as insolvent and don't incur income taxes). I assume debt settlement is less damaging to a credit score than BK13. Am I right?

I believe I qualify for BK7 based on the means test but would lose the house if I did. I don't want my kids to lose their house.

Comment

Yes I am certain about the equity. I had an appraisal.

I don't see the benefit of filing BK13 if I can do negotiate a debt settlement after the refinance (as long as I qualify as insolvent and don't incur income taxes). I assume debt settlement is less damaging to a credit score than BK13. Am I right?

I believe I qualify for BK7 based on the means test but would lose the house if I did. I don't want my kids to lose their house.

Just curious, why would you lose your house? Can you you not reaffirm it? Have you spoken with a lawyer about it?
                    Last edited by hamburgervol; 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM.
                    6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
                    10/06/2009 Discharged
                    01/24/2011 Closed

Comment

I assumed that if I filed CH7 and would have more than $25K equity (Tennessee) after it was sold, it will be taken. Is this not true?

Comment

I have no intention of touching my 401k, especially at its current value.

My wife resigned from her job 3 years ago. She is 41 but can cash out her $55K pension with a 10% penality plus taxes and clear about $35K.
                        Okay, not your pension -- her pension. ;)

I think that you'd be trading a bird in the hand for a different bird in the hand and a looser grip as well.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X