top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creditor attorney knows I'm scared, did I handle it right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditor attorney knows I'm scared, did I handle it right?

Last week an attorney claiming they "bought" the debt from Chase demanded 2 grand, 50% of the debt by April 30th or they'd sue. I retained an attorney yesterday. Today, not yet the 30th, they left me a message. They were careful to not say too much on an answering machine, but he wanted to know if I "gave any thought" to their offer. I called back when I got home, after business hours, and gave him my file number, law office name, phone number, and website as instructed.

Is it true that collection attorneys buy debts?

I'm also paranoid that this guy is going to continue to call and harrass me anyway; since he knows I'm afraid he might try and coerce me into giving him money. Although my attorney has a division of their firm that will sue for illegal harrassment. Nevertheless, I told my roommate to screen all calls for the next couple of days (I'm already in the habit of not answering); so if this dude calls, he will be on tape.
    Attorney Retained 4/27/09
    Projected Ch 7 Filing Oct/09

IF you have provided the name and number to a Debt collector, not the original creditor, of your attorney who has agreed to represent you to your creditors then they can't call you again without violating the law.

Debt collectors have very restrictive laws controlling their actions, they just violate them all the time. If your attorney has a group in house to go after these guys great. I wish mine did.
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X