How does it all really work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does it all really work???

So let me understand something, please...
    When we file bk (ch 7 for me) our debts are discharged...what does this mean for the creditors? Say i really like my doctor, but I discharge the med bills associated with my c-section and follow-up apts:

What does the doctor find out?
    Do they know i filed bk and they never got their money from me?
    Do they hold it against me as a future patient?
    Should I warn them?
    Should I try to pay the doctors I like?
    Do they get any money at all?
    What do they do with the unpaid bills, write them off?

I am just very ignorant of how the process worked on the other end of things. If I was a medical creditor (not collections) i would be pretty upset.

Any insight would certainly appease my curiosity.
    THanks
    waiting to file in july-august,
    waiting for Chase to begin foreclosure,
    waiting for cc's to begin lawsuits,
    just waiting (& "afraid")...

Originally posted by AfraidOfBK View Post
    So let me understand something, please...
    When we file bk (ch 7 for me) our debts are discharged...what does this mean for the creditors? Say i really like my doctor, but I discharge the med bills associated with my c-section and follow-up apts:

What does the doctor find out?
    Do they know i filed bk and they never got their money from me?
    Should I warn them?
    Do they get any money at all?
    What do they do with the unpaid bills, write them off?

I am just very ignorant of how the process worked on the other end of things. If I was a medical creditor (not collections) i would be pretty upset.

Any insight would certainly appease my curiosity.
    THanks
    I am no expert on this, but when you file for chapter 7 (13 as well?) you have to include everyone (even family) you owe money to. So to answer your question, your doctor who you owe money to would have to be included. As soon as your papers are filed with the BK court, all of your creditors would be notified that you are in the process of going through bankruptcy.

As far a medical creditor being upset, I am sure they would be, especially if it was a close family doctor, but you are protected by law and there really isn't anything they can do other then object.

Again, I am no expert and I am sure others on this board with more experience can offer there comments as well.
    Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
    341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
    Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
    Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

I can tell you from personal experience that it depends upon the dr's office.

My oncologist was included in my BK for a very small amount (less than $400 and I paid hugely for treatment). The dr continues to see me but the financial office is extremely difficult - if I have not met my deductable yet for the year I have to pay for the appt before seeing the dr in full. They will not accept the co-pay and bill the ins like my other dr's. This is as a result of the BK. In fact the financial office BLOCKS my appts to see the dr until the annual deductable is paid.
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

My husband is a dentist and when we had our office we would get a court notice in the mail. We just put it on the persons hard file account card. Then when they came back in they would have to pay this account off or pay in cash for services done at that time. I do know now most medical offices out source their billing and don't have any idea if you own money or not. They just want your copay or full payment. Doctors and Dentists are hurting now more than ever. (Hello why I am here) Costs have went up and people can't pay their bills. You either sit in a office and do nothing all day or you do what you were trained to to and help the people no matter if they can pay or not. Maybe give the creditors you like a heads up. This is not a big deal they go thru it all the time. Good Luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Kkole425 View Post
          My husband is a dentist and when we had our office we would get a court notice in the mail. We just put it on the persons hard file account card. Then when they came back in they would have to pay this account off or pay in cash for services done at that time.

Do you mean that the patient had to pay the discharged debt before you would see them? Or do you mean the patient would have to pay for the services rendered the day they came in?

I understand collecting for services rendered the day of service.
          It is a violation of the discharge injunction to force the patient to pay for the discharged debt in order to get service.

In my case the financial office wants the entire deductable paid to them even though cost of the service was less. I owed $282 on deductable and the appt was $185. They wanted the $282 to be paid before they would unblock the appt. BTW, the dr recieved over $100k in my cancer treatments and the only unpaid amts were less than $400. Discussed at length with dr who is ok with it. She sees the big picture. Its the in house finance dept that is difficult.
          Last edited by StartingOver08; 04-30-2009, 07:56 AM. Reason: add info
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008

Comment

Yes they had to pay what bill was due on that day. In my 20 plus years working at the office we only had 2 people not come back. We were in a small town and we not only had to see these people at church but everywhere else we went. I am sure it is different in a big city where the doctor or dentist does not know you. We did have a few patients that took the insurance check (big ones) that were due to us and spend them. Those people were not always welcome back with open arms.

Comment

Here the insurance check goes directly to the dr! The patient never see's it!
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008

Comment

Should I warn them?

The bk code specifically says, you may repay anyone you please post bk.
                The doctor does not have to keep seeing you as a patient post bk but, they are not supposed to ask for payment of discharged debts either.
                The way the game is played is, to voluntarily arrange to repay debt disharged in return for continuing the doctor/patient relationship. They are within there rights to demand copays upfront.

Comment

I would just find a new doctor. I know you may like yours, but why pay what you don't have to? I know that sounds rude, but they get enough from insurance.

Comment

I would just tell them what is going on. If they are shi##y about it then move on to a new doctor. If they really are caring they will understand. If not just tell them see ya and the way things are going you will proably see them someday in the same shoes. If you have insurance then they will want to keep you. More and more people are without insurance! Don't worry about this. This is business as I have learned from this board and doctors are business people. I would guess they would understand. If not find another great doctor. Check on getting your records released. Not sure how that works out. You might have to pay for a transfer.

Comment

O Me...This subject really hits home for myself and hubby. I have Medicare and a supplemental policy and hubby has medical & dental which his employer pays for. Even tho, he doesn't pay for my medical insurance, his employer is kind enough to pay for my dental insurance.

I am 100% disabled. I've had 7 surgeries since 5/1/05, last being 3/09(skin cancer surgery). Hubby had 360 back surgery 11/03, 2 stents put in 6/05, 5 bypass surgery 2/07, pacemaker 6/07 & just got out of the hospital last Wednesday after a week's stay due to Severe Cellulitis which is the 5th time he has had in since having bypass surgery.

When he was admitted to the ER his blood pressure was 60/40 & their was indication his only kidney was shutting down. All the doctors say he was in shock.

My pain management doctor has written off over $500 of my bill after finding out we were filing bankruptcy. I still owe him $159 from last year.

Our medical bills are over $10,000 a year and prescriptions are over $500 a month.

We had planned on spending our income tax on getting the 90,000 miles scheduled maintenance on my 1999 Toyota Sienna Van. We did put new tires on both vehicles before hubby got sick. My son will come repair our sagging wooden fence in spots for a cheap price.

I hope to get all of our medical bills paid before our Bankruptcy filing on 9/30/09. Both of us have excellent doctors and the hospital my husband was in gave him excellent care. It was a different hospital than the ones we have used for our surgeries because it was the closest one the Ambulance took him too.

We have moved 4 times in the past six years (Indiana twice & then Arkansas twice) and it is no easy transferring paperwork from doctor to doctor and hospital to hospital. Some of my MRIs' are lost because of moving, but that's okay as I can no longer have a MRI due to having a Spinal Cord Stimulator.

We both agree that paying for our health care is a Must because we can't take a chance one of our doctors/hospital would refuse us care, which legally they can do unless it is an Emergency.

If I don't get them all paid before our Bankruptcy, I will include them, but will notify them will pay after Bankruptcy. We've never had a doctor or hospital charge us interest or penalties.

Our thinking probably differs from others, but besides our Necessities, our church contributions comes next and then our medical/prescription bills.
                      We might feel different if we were charged fees for not paying a bill in full or being harassed with telephone calls, but that has never happened. All have understood our financial situation and have been willing to work with us.

Even though medical/prescription bills have played a major role in filing for Bankruptcy, We look at them as life saving bills and those should be paid.
                      Just our opinion.

BTW, we thought 2009 was going to be a good year for us medical wise. Gee, I spent $4,000 in dental bills 2/09 which I paid with the $5,000 measly settlement money I received from the car wreck 3/14/05 which started my spiralling surgeries. Hubby was off work almost this whole month & is not 100% well as he is still Anemic and has heat from the cellulitis in the leg where they stripped the vein for bypass surgery. His not driving as many miles until his leg his healed.

We've come to the conclusion we will have soaring medical/prescription bills & will just have to find the money in our budget to pay for those. I'm sure others will disagree, but we are entitled to our opinion

Luci

Comment

I agree health insurance is right next to my house payment! We do not have any health insurance right now. I must add I am not able to make my house payment either. As soon as I get ready to file I will start private health insurance. My husband can get us drugs and such and we have auto insurance. We just go to bed and pray we don't need to go to the ER. Good luck on your road to getting better! Prayers to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Kkole425 View Post
                          I agree health insurance is right next to my house payment! We do not have any health insurance right now. I must add I am not able to make my house payment either. As soon as I get ready to file I will start private health insurance. My husband can get us drugs and such and we have auto insurance. We just go to bed and pray we don't need to go to the ER. Good luck on your road to getting better! Prayers to you!
                          We are fortunate that between by SSD and hubby's pay which varies week to week as he is an OTR Truck Driver, we've kept our house and his truck payment current.

We just bought our house in 12/07 so we are only about $10,000 underwater and intend to reaffirm both the house and the 2006 Dodge Dakota, which is also underwater, but hubby is 6'6" tall & wears a size 16 shoe. He has a hard time fitting in a lot of vehicles. It's even hard for him to drive my Van, but he does when I'm not feeling good enough to drive.

My van is equipped with a remote control lift inside the back of the van which holds my Scooter as I cannot walk very far.

It really breaks my heart to hear when one is unable to make their house payment & is unable to pay medical insurance. Hope if you have children, your State has an insurance plan for them. I know here in Arkansas, we have ARkids1st (or some name like that) as my son has 3 kids and got free medical care for them, when his job wasn't stable.

KKole, I will also be praying for you and your family. Hubby and I both know how Mighty Prayers can be!

Hugs,
                          Luci

Comment

KKole, I will also be praying for you and your family. Hubby and I both know how Mighty Prayers can be!

Hugs,
                            Luci

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thank you so much. I have just decided we are going to make it and things are going to be ok. It will work out like it is intended to. With the help of a good lawyer also. I go to take my exams to start nursing school tomorrow and my husband has a job interview so tomorrow is the first day of the rest of our lives. My kids are learning that life is ruff. We were all spoiled rotten brats and had every toy and car and everything else and now we have $16.00 in our checking account. That is ok. We will make it. We do have our health so we are blessed. Thank you again Luci. You said you were in Indiana at one time, where abouts?

Comment

Kkole:

My husband grew up in Dillsboro, IN. We lived in Lawrenceburg and Milan, IN which is in the Southeastern part of IN. That part of Indiana was called the Tri-State area as we were close to Kentucky and Ohio. We lived about 50 miles from Cinncinati, OH.

I'm from Arkansas. We met on the Internet and I moved to IN. We vacationed in AR in 8/2004. My father had a Condo and a Boat on Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs, AR. We went out one day on the boat and toodled around the lake. My husband really liked the State & commented on the way home he would like to move to AR and get me closer to my 3 grandchildren.

I spent 2 days on the Internet and found him a job in Russelville, AR. We moved 10/21/04 to Dardanelle, AR. Mid 2005, gas prices went up and I was having to drive to North Little Rock or Little Rock every week for doctor visits, tests, etc.

So we decided to get closer to our doctors and moved to a small town SE of Conway, AR 12/22/05. I have to travel to NLR once a month to see my Pain Management Doctor as one of the meds I take is morphine 3 x a day & it is a controlled substance; thus, must see the doc every month.

We really like it here as we have .67 acres and the houses are far apart from each other in this subdivision. It's kinna like living out in the country as our town doesn't have pet ordinances and a block away is a farm with goats, chickens and ducks.

Luci

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X