New Start Financial means a Whole New Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Start Financial means a Whole New Start

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was just wondering how many people are really changing their lives around since either being discharged or going through this process. I mean, do many people feel like completely starting over? Not just financial? I am just curious if I am the only one who wants to change other parts of their life as well. Since this is a major life event I would think this would be a normal thing to come about for some.

For me, I am thinking about changing careers! One of my main fears that when this is close to over is that I still won't be able to get a job in my old field - becuase of the economy and such. And jobs in my field normally get outsourced and will probably be pretty skimpy choosing for a while.

I guess I feel like a need to REALLY start all over again. One thing being is to be in a field that I will have a better shot at getting a job in this economony. So I am looking into green careers - I already worked at an energy company before so I think this might be a good segway for me.

Plus since I am limited in getting a high salary job right now (a job in my old career would put me over the median) which makes that unemployment gap bigger and bigger and looks worse and worse on my resume.

I guess I would still have to explain the gap but at least I can blame the economy now.

Funny thing is that I have changed careers about 4 times in my life and last time I said "This is the last time you are changing". Ha ha!

For me, I feel like I need to shed off my old life which the BK is a part of.

Anyone else making changes like this? Or feeling like you want too?
    "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
    http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
    1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Yes, I am making some major changes in conjunction with a BK. I've been on the west coast for about 11 years due to a series of lucrative career and entrepreneurial opportunities. But when my last opportunity drew to a close early last year, the economy here in Nevada was already in the toilet and has only gotten worse. I've been working a few angles since then, but nothing has really produced the results I need.

My goal with the BK is to "get out of dodge" and go back to the Midwest. I could potentially reaffirm on one or both of my vehicles, but I've decided to shed as much as possible. I'll move back with one paid-for truck, the personal items I can carry with me, and a little bit of furniture that I'll keep in storage here for 6 - 12 months until I get settled on the other end and can send for it.

I'm also looking at career options as well - for me, it's not so much about changing careers, but reinventing myself to keep my skills and experience relevant and in demand. I'm only in my early 40's, but you can never be too up-to-date.

Comment

Green careers? I am PM'ing you because my husband works in an energy efficiency company near Milwaukee! Are you definitely planning to move though?

Comment

I am so excited about our fresh start.

We now have savings goals and a budget that works. Instead of feeling anxious, depressed, and fearful all the time, I feel optimistic and in control.

It is fabulous!
        Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
        341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

Took my test to get into Nursing school and I passed so I go tomorrow and sign up for my classes. I have no idea how I am going to pay for it but I will never allow myself to be in a spot like this again. I am going from no job a spoiled daughter and wife to school to get a degree and take care of my kids no matter what. Man no man, parents no parents. I need to take care of me and myself so I can then help my family take care of themselves. I am a totally different person. I will never own a had bag that did not come from Target or Walmart again. NO MORE COACH HERE. I don't need all that stupid crap!!

Comment

Originally posted by hopeforus View Post
            Green careers? I am PM'ing you because my husband works in an energy efficiency company near Milwaukee! Are you definitely planning to move though?
            I replied to your PM. Not sure about the moving right now but I am keeping my options open. My dream would to be in California or Hawaii doing a green career but I don't think Cali is going to recover from the economy for a while but when it does I am sure there will plenty of green jobs when it does.
            1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

Originally posted by Kkole425 View Post
              Took my test to get into Nursing school and I passed so I go tomorrow and sign up for my classes. I have no idea how I am going to pay for it but I will never allow myself to be in a spot like this again. I am going from no job a spoiled daughter and wife to school to get a degree and take care of my kids no matter what. Man no man, parents no parents. I need to take care of me and myself so I can then help my family take care of themselves. I am a totally different person. I will never own a had bag that did not come from Target or Walmart again. NO MORE COACH HERE. I don't need all that stupid crap!!
              That is a good field to go into - I can't pass Chemistry to save my life unfortunatly so not an option for me. At least you on your way - you passed the test.

Me too - I am thinking about taking this certificiation thing for renewable energies but where will I get the money? I would have to borrow it from my parents.

My personal situation isn't the best right now either and I am realizing how much I want to be on my own again so I can control things myself.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X