AMEX haven't paid & haven't heard from them until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMEX haven't paid & haven't heard from them until today

I am over sixty days late on an AMEX gold with balance of $967 now about $100 more due to late & overlimit fees & an Optima card with $5,100 that is increasing due to the 27% APR, and OTL fee & late fees.

Strange is I haven't heard anything from them until today -- notice that they are canceling both cards. I hear AMEX is cancelling the cards of those with near perfect credit & payment histories. I also heard that AMEX is the most aggressive & nastiest in trying to collect past debt.

I had 2 gold amex charge cards and 2 related Optima cards. One each for personal and business. Amex was definitely the quickest to sue. So far they have only sued (and got a default judgment) one one Optima with a 15k balance. Months before the suit, they canceled all four cards.

Funny how they think that if you're late on a payment,(it's the economy stupid) that the best course of action is to double or triple the interest rate, lower you credit line in hopes of making more in fees being that you'll soon be over the limit, etc.

In the end, they lose all of it when they force people into bankruptcy. The write-offs must be good for their bottom line, why else would they do it?

Comment

Amex has suprisingly been the least aggressive of my cards, they only called me once every other day. They shipped me off to collections pretty quickly as well.
      Filed 5/29/09
      Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

They will sick Nationwide credit on you after a few months of non-payment. In my case, they filed suit exactly 180 days after non-payment.

Comment

Amex called me after we were one week late. I told them we were filing bankruptcy, they offered me 0% for six months then 9% for another 18 months. I declinded and told them maybe if they hadn't raised our rate to
          24+% for no reason except a high balance maybe we wouldn't be in this boat in the first place.

That was the 10th (payment was due the 3rd). They turned us over to a collection agency on the 24th. We received a letter from Amex the day before the collection notice stating that we were seriously delinquent on our account and they were turning us over to a CA. Seriously delinquent? 21 days is not seriously deliquent! I'm sure it was because they knew we were going to file.

Comment

Yes, I would NOT tell AMEX that you're going to file. I did and after 15 years of perfect payments on a platinum card, they dumped me into collections within a week.

My last payment was due in mid-February and they served me yesterday. I just walked the summons straight over to my lawyer's office.

The worst thing was is that when they pushed the account over to AEGIS (who are nasty), I called them to get AEGIS' address to send a C&D and the woman told me that she couldn't talk to me because I was no longer their customer. Well, guess what, sweetie, when I get out of this, I will make a point to never be a customer of yours again.
            over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
            Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

Originally posted by Ifonly View Post
              Well, guess what, sweetie, when I get out of this, I will make a point to never be a customer of yours again.
              You don't have to worry about that, from what I understand, if you file BK on Amex you're blacklisted for life.

Comment

Originally posted by limegreen260 View Post
                You don't have to worry about that, from what I understand, if you file BK on Amex you're blacklisted for life.
                LOL...it figures! The best was when they sent me a letter stating that I was losing my valuable reward points and to have them reinstated all I had to do was pay my balance in full. So all I had to do to get my 3,000 or so point was to come up with over $5,000. Silly me, passing up THAT great deal.

Comment

LOL...it figures! The best was when they sent me a letter stating that I was losing my valuable reward points and to have them reinstated all I had to do was pay my balance in full. So all I had to do to get my 3,000 or so point was to come up with over $5,000. Silly me, passing up THAT great deal.
                  LOL I can redeem my points for my "free" airline ticket if I pay them $19,838.

Comment

Yes, I would NOT tell AMEX that you're going to file. I did and after 15 years of perfect payments on a platinum card, they dumped me into collections within a week.

My last payment was due in mid-February and they served me yesterday. I just walked the summons straight over to my lawyer's office.

The worst thing was is that when they pushed the account over to AEGIS (who are nasty), I called them to get AEGIS' address to send a C&D and the woman told me that she couldn't talk to me because I was no longer their customer. Well, guess what, sweetie, when I get out of this, I will make a point to never be a customer of yours again.
                    Wow, I can't believe they served you so fast! We have about 5k on a platinum card and our last payment was in Nov I think. They cancelled our card in Feb I think and then sent us to collections, but I C&D'd the collection agency and it is back at AMEX now because AMEX has started calling. I think we received letters from them about making payment arrangements, etc and then something about if you pay we will open your acct again. I haven't talked them or told them we are filing bk, I am hoping they just don't try to sue before we file:-)

Comment

What States?

It would be interesting to know what states some of you are in. I posted a thread a while ago about how fast some of the banks came after people to sue and by far AMEX and BOA were the longest. Some people had not been sued after a year's time. And, in terms of calls, they were relatively minimal compared to a card like Discover.

I wondered what the deal was with AMEX because of a blue card. So far, I've received a few mail notices about 'we have missed your payment' and the calls have been less than most creditors. I let AMEX go about 3 months ago. The balance on the card is like 20k and I'm in VA.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh View Post
                        It would be interesting to know what states some of you are in. I posted a thread a while ago about how fast some of the banks came after people to sue and by far AMEX and BOA were the longest. Some people had not been sued after a year's time. And, in terms of calls, they were relatively minimal compared to a card like Discover.

I wondered what the deal was with AMEX because of a blue card. So far, I've received a few mail notices about 'we have missed your payment' and the calls have been less than most creditors. I let AMEX go about 3 months ago. The balance on the card is like 20k and I'm in VA.
                        I'm in Indiana. Starting getting calls after one week late. Sent to collections after 21 days late. Maybe my mistake was telling them we were going to file. I told them because I was afraid they'd start calling my work.

Comment

Ditto above. AMEX was the first creditor I told I was going to file and they never even wasted collection calls on me. They immediately went to outside CA and then to the lawsuit. Learned my lesson. Everyone else I just didn't answer the phone. Once I have a case #, I'll answer the phone - just once.

Comment

Ha! Amex started called within a week of being late on my payment. I've been sent to several CA's, but no lawsuits yet (knocking on wood)...that was a year ago this month!
                            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rockyroad View Post
                              They will sick Nationwide credit on you after a few months of non-payment. In my case, they filed suit exactly 180 days after non-payment.
                              I'm In Texas and this was a biz account for a huge amount of money

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X