What about Working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about Working?

This probably sounds crazy, but I was wrongfully terminated from a job (in my opinion) and now, I don't want to work in the feild. I mean I do want to work, but right now I just want to be a writer and try to make a go of that. My wife has retirement income.

Whether I work, or not, or whether I make money or not, I'm going to have to file bankruptcy. It seems crazy, but according to a lawyer I talked to, it's better if I don't work now in order to make the means test in a few months for chapter 7.

I work every day as a freelance writer, but I'm afraid they will not allow my bankruptcy because I'm not out looking for work with a realistic chance of getting paid.

I'm sorry for all the info I'm sure no one wanted to read; my question is just this: when they ask me, why haven't you been out looking for a job? What am I supposed to say? I'm trying to hit rock bottom because it's good for my soul?

I mean, can't my creditors claim that the only reason I'm filing bankruptcy is because I won't go out and get what they think is a real job? I have an appointment with a lawyer first part of June. Will he advise me?

By the way, he's charging me about 1600 total for the bk, is that about right?

1600 is the same my atty charged, and im sure your lawyer will advise you about the not working situation.
    retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
    10/30/10- WEDDING!!
    09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

I haven't been working (can't find a decent job...at this point I can't find any job at all). I wasn't working when we filed for BK and I wasn't working when we had the 341. The trustee didn't question it at all. She did ask if we were expecting an increase in income and I told her I hoped to find a job soon. That was it. The creditors didn't even show up to my 341 or to any other 341 cases I watched that day. Your attorney can answer these questions about your particular trustee, but mine was not a problem at all.

Comment

There is no employment requirement for BK.

Comment

if you are terminated you are surely receiving unemployment benefits, yes. Your only obligation is to report to unemployment that you are looking for work. That really is your only response in your filing. You are unemployed.
          Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
          Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
          341 Meeting 01/05/2009
          Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

Nothing in the bk code requires to be employed or to be looking for a job.
            We've had several here who have quit there job or refused overtime or quit a pt job in order to qualify for a Chapter 7.

Comment

No, working does not come into the mess at all.
              And our attorney charged us $1500. Many wanted as much as $4k.

Comment

Just make sure you're doing the 3 new contacts a week for unemployment. I make certain I send at least 3 resumes a week. I try to find the openings that best suit me, of course, but if, by Friday, there hasn't been any postings like that, I find 3 that I'm "sortof, but not really" qualified for.

I know what you mean about not wanting to work, however. Any extra income I would earn at this point would simply increase our CH13 payment...and I would have to put my kids in daycare and go back to commuting hours a day to do it...wow, what a great incentive.

And the credit history thing is still out there. I saw a part time bookkeeper job this morning and was going to respond to that (5 hours a week, possibly to go to 15)...thought it would keep my skill set sharp, get me out of the house a little bit, and that level of work would supplement my unemployment. Then I saw under requirements, "must have perfect results on a criminal, background and credit check". *sigh*....as Meatloaf would say, "I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad"
                over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
                Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

Originally posted by freefall View Post
                  This probably sounds crazy, but I was wrongfully terminated from a job (in my opinion) and now, I don't want to work in the feild. I mean I do want to work, but right now I just want to be a writer and try to make a go of that. My wife has retirement income.

Whether I work, or not, or whether I make money or not, I'm going to have to file bankruptcy. It seems crazy, but according to a lawyer I talked to, it's better if I don't work now in order to make the means test in a few months for chapter 7.

I work every day as a freelance writer, but I'm afraid they will not allow my bankruptcy because I'm not out looking for work with a realistic chance of getting paid.

I'm sorry for all the info I'm sure no one wanted to read; my question is just this: when they ask me, why haven't you been out looking for a job? What am I supposed to say? I'm trying to hit rock bottom because it's good for my soul?

I mean, can't my creditors claim that the only reason I'm filing bankruptcy is because I won't go out and get what they think is a real job? I have an appointment with a lawyer first part of June. Will he advise me?

By the way, he's charging me about 1600 total for the bk, is that about right?

You should at least file for unemployment. The requirements for getting unemployment, even if you were wrongfully terminated, are such that most people still can get unemployment.
                  Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by Flowers View Post
                    if you are terminated you are surely receiving unemployment benefits, yes. Your only obligation is to report to unemployment that you are looking for work. That really is your only response in your filing. You are unemployed.
                    Actually, no. In my state, if you are fired or quit you absolutely cannot get unemployment. I was wrongfully terminated in my opinion, but the contractor I worked for was not technically in the wrong according to our contract. It's a bit complicated and I don't want to go into it here because I want to remain anonymous. You know?

And thank you all for the replies. It really helped me and my peace of mind. Thank you all, very much.

Comment

I must say, I am new to all this. I have never been late on a bill in my whole life. I have always worked, and I've always been taught that paying your debts is a moral obligation. Now everything is upside down. The banks I owe are taking my tax dollars and have ruined our economy with their loan practices. I was told to spend, spend, spend like a good American, and now it's that very spending that is crashing everything. I feel like I'm stealing for going bankrupt, but there is no person I'm stealing from. I'm supposed to work, but if I work, I will ruin my financial future because I can never pay back my debts, and the very companies I feel responsible to would have no problem at all charging me 30% interest that never gets paid off for the rest of my life so that I have nothing and can leave nothing when I die for anyone else.

But if I do stop working, get my debts discharged, I can actually then go back to work making less than half of what I was and living better! Debt and the way it works is absolutely right out of a Lewis Carroll book.

There has to be another way. People talk about ruining your credit through BK, but I don't give a sh.. anymore about credit or credit ratings. The worst thing I could do is have a credit rating that allowed me to go in debt again.

Just some ramblings.

Comment

Actually, no. In my state, if you are fired or quit you absolutely cannot get unemployment. I was wrongfully terminated in my opinion, but the contractor I worked for was not technically in the wrong according to our contract. It's a bit complicated and I don't want to go into it here because I want to remain anonymous. You know?

And thank you all for the replies. It really helped me and my peace of mind. Thank you all, very much.
                        What state are you in? Are you sure thats true? I know most states make it sound like you are not to receive UE if you were fired. But that is only if it was no fault of your own.

Dh was fired and we were able to collect. They said it was not his fault.
                        FILED CH7: 03/20/09
                        341: May 11th, 2009
                        DISCHARGED: July 13th, 2009

Comment

I must say, I am new to all this. I have never been late on a bill in my whole life. I have always worked, and I've always been taught that paying your debts is a moral obligation. Now everything is upside down. The banks I owe are taking my tax dollars and have ruined our economy with their loan practices. I was told to spend, spend, spend like a good American, and now it's that very spending that is crashing everything. I feel like I'm stealing for going bankrupt, but there is no person I'm stealing from. I'm supposed to work, but if I work, I will ruin my financial future because I can never pay back my debts, and the very companies I feel responsible to would have no problem at all charging me 30% interest that never gets paid off for the rest of my life so that I have nothing and can leave nothing when I die for anyone else.

But if I do stop working, get my debts discharged, I can actually then go back to work making less than half of what I was and living better! Debt and the way it works is absolutely right out of a Lewis Carroll book.

There has to be another way. People talk about ruining your credit through BK, but I don't give a sh.. anymore about credit or credit ratings. The worst thing I could do is have a credit rating that allowed me to go in debt again.

Just some ramblings.

I'm going to ramble with you! At first I felt guilty, after all I did buy lots of stuff with these credit cards, I felt morally obligated too.... But I stopped paying on a credit card in September. At the time I owed them $9000, they just sued me for $19400. WHAT? it more than doubled in 8 months because of interest and fees? Who is morally corrupt?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X