How long to file after appt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to file after appt?

If I take EVERYTHING with me to the consultation and give the guy the money right there and then, and he has everything he needs to actually file the bk, how long does it generally take to "officially" file? I mean, how long after you had paid and had everything in did it take before your attorney had officially filed? I really need to start saving asap for a car to replace the old one, but I can't have any extra money until the file date or they'll probably take it...so, how long did it take your attorney to file your paperwork?
    --------------------------------------------
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

It all depends on the attorney. I had consulted 6 attorneys and each one had a different answer to that question (I made a list of questions before I went in and that was one of them). I noticed that the Bigger the practice the longer it took, typically about a month, if it's a smaller practice, 1-4 attorneys, it was within the week. Just my experience...
    Good Luck!
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Going for the small guy!

I'm going with the little guy, then! LOL!
      As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

My attorney asked if we needed an emergency filing. He explained that sometimes people (gasp!) wait until all their other options are exhausted.

He could have filed for us the same day, in the event of impending foreclosure.

The next day was more common, he said, but it COULD be done the same day.
        11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
        12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
        3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

good news

I just talked to the attorney we're meeting with on Tuesday, and he said that if we pay the fees and have all the paperwork in order, he can have it filed within a few days without a problem. That's a relief!

Comment

Lets see....we had our first appt with the atty and had everything under the sun with us...including plenty of cash. Before we left, we paid a retainer and got our atty's packet to fill out. We scheduled an appt for almost a week later to actually file the case. I supposed if we could have gotten that atty packet done that night, we could have returned the next day to file. At the second appt....about a week after our first....he went over the packet with us and had his paralegal do up the papers right then and there. He had us return in a few hours to sign and they were filed that afternoon.
            filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
            341 meeting 6/4/09
            DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

Yes!

This is what I'm wanting to hear! I hope this is how it goes for us! I'm just worried about the means test and getting to do Ch 7 instead of 13. I used the online calculator, and it put us at qualifying with all of our expenses, but we're about 30,000 over the median income, so it is our mortgage and other expenses that are helping us out...

Comment

I'm in the same situation. I'm over on income (but I have been unemployed since October until last month) but my expenses are high. My lawyer seems to think I can get chp 7.

The key reason I am starting to feel good about him is he offered to talk to me on the phone today without me contacting him prior and he then proceeded to email me this afternoon without any qualms. He then told me I could schedule an appt to come in and discuss everything else I need to know for free and then retain him after that if I want to.
                BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Wow! That's awesome! I think a lawyer who will talk to you is worth his weight in gold. Unfortunately, so many are TOOO busy...NOT GOOD!

Comment

When I took in all my paperwork a few weeks ago, the paralegal said he could have it ready in a week to be signed. I was going out of town so I had to wait but I just went in today to sign and he said it should be filed tomorrow.
                    Filed 5/29/09
                    Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X