What would you do in this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do in this situation?

I am days away from filing. I am single and a sales rep. I put on over 70K miles on my car in a year and a half.
    It is a 2004 Honda Civic in decent shape, but has 102K miles on it.
    I am still making payments and owe about 4800.00 on it.
    Should I let it go or reaffirm it? I need a decent car to go to work as I am on the road all day. Someone told me to buy another one NOW before I file but doesn't that look too suspicious? I don't even know if I can get a loan due to some previous bad debt from an ex. My credit score is still in the 720 range.
    My boyfriend said he could take my car, trade it in on something, put the new loan in HIS name and me on the title.
    What do you think? We are so green to all of this.

You're on the cusp of bk. Don't comingle finaces with anyone right now.
    You're BF can do that for you after discharge.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
      You're on the cusp of bk. Don't comingle finaces with anyone right now.
      You're BF can do that for you after discharge.

So should I surrender the car and not reaffirm and then when discharged get a new one? Or should I get a new one now? We have been comingling finances now for over 2 years.

Comment

Depends on what you want to do. Post bk, that plan will work. If, you're going to that, go ahead and reaffirm since, you'll need the car for a tradein.
        If, he buys the car prior to filing and has it inhis name you likely won't be able to use the car note as an expense since you have no legal obligation to pay for it.

Comment

You better check what your car is worth. I'm willing to bet that being a Honda 04 that your car is worth more than you owe, even with the mileage. If that is the case I would either trade it in or reaffirm it.

Comment

So if I go ahead and have him take my car, trade it in for a new one and put the loan in his name, is there anything the BK Trustee can do if it is within a month or so of when I file? I haven't filed yet. Also, will they question if I have no car in my name, how I get to and from work?
            I just don't want any red flags

Comment

The red flag will come with what you addressed. Check on kbb.com as to what your car's value is now. 102K is like a new car in these times. Maintain it well and have BF service oil and filter at 5K without fail. It should last you for years.

Do not mention commingling anything, unless obvious. DO NOT LIE. But if you do share expenses, you must report same. If lightly, you may just state separate maintenance. Whatever applies to you is correct.

I would not incur new debt at this time. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X