GI Bill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GI Bill.

How does the court view the Montgomery GI bill?

For those of you who don't know, GI bill is a monthly payment sent to veterans that are enrolled in school. The amount you receive is dependent on your enrollment status. It is not permanent; you only get 36 months of benefits.

I have about a years worth of GI bill benefits remaining. Will the court count that as income? I was using it to help pay bills (I receive student loans), but I'd like to start using it to pay for my tuition (like it was intended).

Also, does it factor in the means test?

Thanks.
    6/12/09: Filed Chapter 7
    7/21/09: 341 Hearing (went very well)
    9/28/09: Discharged
    10/2/09: Case closed!

I would not take any bets but I am thinking this is going to be income.
    They don't seem to exempt much when you file.

Comment

This is one of my issues too.
      My husband and I are both prior military. I'm not currently in school and don't plan on going back anytime soon. I have 7 months of benefits remaining. He is in school right now and has 5 months remaining...will be used up by the end of the year.
      I think it probably counts as income...which really inflates our true income. Now, I haven't asked an attorney or seen an answer from someone on here in the same situation so not sure if this it how it works or not.

Just fyi for those who don't know about the GI bill...as far as $$$...as an ex. my husband is getting $1471/month when he goes full time. He pays nothing for tuition so this is "income" for us which is why we're going to file bk once the benefits are gone.
      Just not going to have the money anymore to pay the bills.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X