Should I file chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I file chapter 7?

I have everything ready to file Chapter 7 online...but, I can't decide. Here is my question:

In March 2000 I ended up in the hospital for 7 weeks, was in a coma...now I am Disabled. I have not worked since...

So, I couldn't pay back my credit cards (2) or my chiropractor (2 years worth) or some other medical bills or other various bills...anyway, it is too much for me to pay back on my teeny-tiny check...I have since married, and my doctor bills now are paid for by my spouse's health insurance (and Medicare)...anyway, my spouse is not responsible for any of my bills before we got married, right?

I recently checked my credit report and see that only a few creditors are on my credit report. Not all of them are there.

So, my question is: Should I just go ahead and file BK and list all of my creditors, both those on my credit report and those who are not.....or, should I just not file at all, and, just try to settle with those on the credit report? And, hope that my conscience won't be bothering me not dealing with the creditors not on my credit report? And, I am wondering if I don't file, then, am I legally still liable for those creditors who are not on my credit report? Or...?

Personally, I think that I am still legally liable, whether or not they are on my credit report...

I just want to know if there are any other BK points that I am not aware of.

Thanks!

Just because an account isn't on your credit report, doesn't mean you don't owe that creditor. Reporting to the credit reporting agencies is voluntary for each creditor. Also, medical bills tend not to be on credit reports until they are placed for collection with a large collection agency (NCO comes to mind here).

Look, unless you have the means to pay back all your creditors in a reasonable time, three to five years tops, you should consider bankruptcy. Settlement only works if you can pay a lump sum to your creditors, and to be honest, just from anecdotal evidence I see, its getting harder and harder to get a settlement at anything less than 50%.

Comment

Thank you so much for your response...what you said is what I figured...

Thanks again!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X