top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talked with the lawyer today got a odd request.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talked with the lawyer today got a odd request.

I have talked with a few lawyers today. Most say come in and sit down with us. I talked with one out of indy. He asked tons of questions on the phone. About my debt assets and income. HE was willing to answer some questions. But he asked when i come to the first meeting that i pay like 100 to 150 to retain him. I not sure why maybe they want to run my credit before going farther or what.
    Does this seem ok or normal. I was told one there was no lawyer client protection unless you paid the lawyer something is that true.

I would hesitate dealing with someone who required a retainer before talking with you face to face.

If you have the time, read through this forum, searching on topics about which you have questions.

hhm has put together an incredible array of knowledge vis the "sticky" posts at the beginning of each section.

after you become a little more informed, you will probably be more comfortable in selecting an attorney.

Comment

He wants it when i meet with him on the 5th. I guest every lawyer wants there money before fileing. Just never had one say give me 100 bucks when you come in
      Originally posted by poorold View Post
      I would hesitate dealing with someone who required a retainer before talking with you face to face.

If you have the time, read through this forum, searching on topics about which you have questions.

hhm has put together an incredible array of knowledge vis the "sticky" posts at the beginning of each section.

after you become a little more informed, you will probably be more comfortable in selecting an attorney.

Comment

Most attorneys want a $100 fee to sit and talk at length with you. Too many people are getting free advice in detail and then trying to file themselves. I also noted in court at the 341 that they were one ones that got most of the questions and/or continued.
        Our did want $100 but he waived it when I told him I would pay him the entire fee ($1500) up front for the whole case.
        And just a note here, most if not all attorneys will require all the money paid up front before they file for you. Some take payments but not many.

Comment

He wants 1200 for the lawyer fee 300 for fileing. Which is a 100 less then the other two said and 40 bucks for a credit check.
          Originally posted by kenshirley View Post
          Most attorneys want a $100 fee to sit and talk at length with you. Too many people are getting free advice in detail and then trying to file themselves. I also noted in court at the 341 that they were one ones that got most of the questions and/or continued.
          Our did want $100 but he waived it when I told him I would pay him the entire fee ($1500) up front for the whole case.
          And just a note here, most if not all attorneys will require all the money paid up front before they file for you. Some take payments but not many.

Comment

OK, well I brought in my own credit report which you can get free.
            Our total filing fees were $215 and the balance of $1500 went to the Attorney.
            Sounds about right to me. Most attorneys here wanted $2500-4000. We had to get out of town and look hard.

Comment

Well i got the free one got experien but transunion and equafax would not let me have it said to call or mail my request. I take it something i gave them did not match there system.
              Originally posted by kenshirley View Post
              OK, well I brought in my own credit report which you can get free.
              Our total filing fees were $215 and the balance of $1500 went to the Attorney.
              Sounds about right to me. Most attorneys here wanted $2500-4000. We had to get out of town and look hard.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim6656 View Post
                Well i got the free one got experien but transunion and equafax would not let me have it said to call or mail my request. I take it something i gave them did not match there system.
                If you call you can use the automatic system to request your report. They typically show up in about 3 days (even though you will be told a longer time frame).

Use the phone option for being denied credit or other adverse action (I assume in the last 90 days someone has raised an APR or reduced a credit line, changed your terms, or something), that way it is free.

Comment

my rentention fee was a portion of the overall fee which was total 1050 with 250 being for retention. This includes the filing fee.

Comment

I think it comes off the overall cost. 1540 was his cost for everything. He seemd like a good lawyer. If i can come up with the 100 bucks i will retain him just have to see how the bills lay out
                    Originally posted by Kpower View Post
                    my rentention fee was a portion of the overall fee which was total 1050 with 250 being for retention. This includes the filing fee.

Comment

It's no different than going to any professional for advice. I don't get free consultations from my doctor or plumber. I pay a fee to walk in the door or when they walk in the door. Then we can discuss the cost of further treatment or service.
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

From what i have seen is most loawyers will meet with you for free once. i think they do this because unlike you doctor or plumber if they take your money there bound by law to repersent you
                        Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                        It's no different than going to any professional for advice. I don't get free consultations from my doctor or plumber. I pay a fee to walk in the door or when they walk in the door. Then we can discuss the cost of further treatment or service.

Comment

Because of how competitive BK is (from a business perspective), initial consultations are free..(the phone conference the OP had with the attorney sounds like the equivalent of an initial consult). He is just setting your expectations that when you come in the 2nd time, the expectation is you are going to retain.

In almost every other field of law, consultations cost money. As was mentioned earlier, try getting a free visit with your doctor, plumber, etc. Bigtime6656, the statement, once you pay, a lawyer is bound to represent you is not entirely accurate. As with any service, you pay for a particular service. A consultation is a service, you are purchasing the lawyers expertise and time. After the consultation, you can then decide if you want to retain that attorney for representation. Also, lawyers can cancel representation at any time.

The fact that this attorney took the time with you over the phone is actually a good thing. I wouldn't be put off by the retainer.

Comment

It does not put me off. I plan to use him. Just not sure if i will meet with him this week. Not sure i can spend the 100 right not when i am not going to file till oct.
                            Originally posted by HHM View Post
                            Because of how competitive BK is (from a business perspective), initial consultations are free..(the phone conference the OP had with the attorney sounds like the equivalent of an initial consult). He is just setting your expectations that when you come in the 2nd time, the expectation is you are going to retain.

In almost every other field of law, consultations cost money. As was mentioned earlier, try getting a free visit with your doctor, plumber, etc. Bigtime6656, the statement, once you pay, a lawyer is bound to represent you is not entirely accurate. As with any service, you pay for a particular service. A consultation is a service, you are purchasing the lawyers expertise and time. After the consultation, you can then decide if you want to retain that attorney for representation. Also, lawyers can cancel representation at any time.

The fact that this attorney took the time with you over the phone is actually a good thing. I wouldn't be put off by the retainer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X