Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell phone questions...

Hi all,

I currently don't have a cell phone and BK may be in my future. I thought that maybe I should get one before the BK for a couple reasons:

-my creditors won't have that number to call and bother me on

-my credit will still be good so I can qualify to get the phone

So, my questions are:

-will that number stay out of the CC companies reach?

-do the cell phone carriers do anything if your credit starts to tank or you file BK?

Thanks

If you only give the number to friends/family, you will be fine. When you start giving it to companies is when you run the risk of it appearing on a file somewhere for others to access.

They have no reason to check your credit agian after you get the phone. As long as you are paying the bill you won't have any issues!

Comment

I have 2 cell phones. One that is my "real" phone that very few people know the number to. I can be reached 24/7 on that phone.

If I don't know you or don't want for you to know my number, I won't call you on that phone. That's what the "burner" phone is for. Cheap, prepaid, and not a big deal to throw away.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by falken View Post
        If you only give the number to friends/family, you will be fine. When you start giving it to companies is when you run the risk of it appearing on a file somewhere for others to access.

They have no reason to check your credit agian after you get the phone. As long as you are paying the bill you won't have any issues!
        That was my thought, but I had seen someone ask a question on here about cell phones and some were saying they may do something with your contract, make you re-up, etc... Maybe they had a different issue...not sure.

I'll look for the link and post it here.

Thanks for the tip about giving it to companies. I don't know what I'd do in that case. Maybe just not give a number?

Originally posted by frogger View Post
        I have 2 cell phones. One that is my "real" phone that very few people know the number to. I can be reached 24/7 on that phone.

If I don't know you or don't want for you to know my number, I won't call you on that phone. That's what the "burner" phone is for. Cheap, prepaid, and not a big deal to throw away.
        I hear ya, but the idea is to get a traditional cell phone plan.

Comment

Here's that link:

The OP did mention putting the bill in the BK, but also mentioned options for not doing that. The one reply said they would change the contract to -2 or -1 whatever that means?

I did a search for Verizon and it does seem like there are issues with this.

Is it just Verizon that does stuff to your contract if you file BK?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by falken View Post

This is not entirely true; creditors and debt collection agencies are getting good at finding numbers. I changed my cell phone number, only to have Capital One find it two weeks later. I only gave it to family and friends, and kept a home phone so creditors could leave the threatening messages on it.
            6/12/09: Filed Chapter 7
            7/21/09: 341 Hearing (went very well)
            9/28/09: Discharged
            10/2/09: Case closed!

Comment

Originally posted by damooster View Post
              This is not entirely true; creditors and debt collection agencies are getting good at finding numbers. I changed my cell phone number, only to have Capital One find it two weeks later. I only gave it to family and friends, and kept a home phone so creditors could leave the threatening messages on it.
              Okay... I suppose I should say chances are slim. They could call family and try to get the cell phone number out of them, or they could pay someone on the sly who works for the cell phone carrier to lookup your number for them.

However, there is no directory of cell phone numbers and no legal way for them to just look it up. Perhaps also if the CA/OC was a subsidiary of the cell phone company and they had no privacy policy agianst it...

Edit: and i'll add, if you called a CC/CA from the new number. Some of them will log all incoming phone numbers and keep them on file.

Comment

Any more info on them changing contracts?

Comment

Originally posted by sirius View Post
                  Hi all,

I currently don't have a cell phone and BK may be in my future. I thought that maybe I should get one before the BK for a couple reasons:

-my creditors won't have that number to call and bother me on

-my credit will still be good so I can qualify to get the phone

So, my questions are:

-will that number stay out of the CC companies reach?

-do the cell phone carriers do anything if your credit starts to tank or you file BK?

Thanks
                  What city are you in? most major areas now have a carrier like Metro PCS or Cricket that require no credit check and are technically prepaid, but offer unlimited voice and text for under 60 bucks a month and you can cel and restart with a new number whenever the need strikes.

Not your traditional "prepaid" service. No cards or restrictions on monthly minimum. They even roam in the ~125 largest metro areas now.

Comment

Originally posted by holycrap View Post
                    What city are you in? most major areas now have a carrier like Metro PCS or Cricket that require no credit check and are technically prepaid, but offer unlimited voice and text for under 60 bucks a month and you can cel and restart with a new number whenever the need strikes.

Not your traditional "prepaid" service. No cards or restrictions on monthly minimum. They even roam in the ~125 largest metro areas now.
                    Cleveland, I'll look into that idea. I don't think we have Metro PCS here.

I appreciate the info everyone, but now I'm hesitant as there's conflicting reports. Other threads indicate problems, at least with Verizon.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius View Post
                      Cleveland, I'll look into that idea. I don't think we have Metro PCS here.

I appreciate the info everyone, but now I'm hesitant as there's conflicting reports. Other threads indicate problems, at least with Verizon.
                      Cleveland has Revol. They are the same basic service. I think they have roaming agreements with Cricket and Metro, but i would ask that question first. Their coverage is good. Their handset selectgion is OK. Lots of inexpensive stuff it that is your bag.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X