No 2 lawyers are alike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No 2 lawyers are alike!

I realize you are going to get differences of opinions when you are trying to choose a lawyer to represent you but opinions are one thing and the law is really the law. Today I was doing a phone consultation with a lawyer and he kept telling me (after giving him all of my information) I had to file a 13 because we make too much money. He didn't even go through my expenses to find out if I could quite possibly file a 7. When we were getting ready to hang up the phone I asked him if I filed a 13 and I have no equity in my home could we strip the second mortgage and he said no. You can't get rid of a secured debt in 13 even when the second is technically not secured because there is no equity right??? I mean for the past 2 weeks I've been reading these posts and learning a lot but when he told me I couldn't do that I knew he was NOT the one for me! Still searching for a few more lawyers to find out which one is best! How can he be so off when the first lawyer I saw said we for sure would qualify for a 7?
    08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
    04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
    06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
    08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Ann, what state are you in and are you over median? I have had similar experiences with the 6 different attorneys I have interviewed. One of the gurus on this site said it best, "You have to remember they are in the business of representing us, so you have to do your due diligence." I am currently stuck in the middle of a 7 and a 13, based on my income (being over median) and my lack of DMI. So, I feel for you. I will keep watching to see what develops.
    beginning of debt cycle 1984
    filed oct 29, 2009
    341 nov 25, 2009
    April 8, 2010: CONFIRMATION

Comment

Originally posted by Crozier View Post
      Ann, what state are you in and are you over median? I have had similar experiences with the 6 different attorneys I have interviewed. One of the gurus on this site said it best, "You have to remember they are in the business of representing us, so you have to do your due diligence." I am currently stuck in the middle of a 7 and a 13, based on my income (being over median) and my lack of DMI. So, I feel for you. I will keep watching to see what develops.
      I'm in Michigan and I know I'm over the median BUT I have a lot of expenses. Going to see a second lawyer in person. The second lawyer I spoke with yesterday onlydoes phone consultations for free otherwise you have to come into his office and pay $200.00 for a one hour in office consult.
      Last edited by Ann; 08-18-2009, 05:03 AM. Reason: wrong wording
      08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
      04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
      06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
      08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ann View Post
        I'm in Michigan and I know I'm over the median BUT I have a lot of expenses. Going to see a second lawyer in person. The second lawyer I spoke with yesterday onlydoes phone consultations for free otherwise you have to come into his office and pay $200.00 for a one hour in office consult.
        Ann, where are you in Michigan? I'm in Michigan and if you are anywhere near me I could PM you the names of some good and reputable attorneys.
        CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
        341 Meeting 4/7/2009
        Discharged 7/10/2009
        Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
          Ann, where are you in Michigan? I'm in Michigan and if you are anywhere near me I could PM you the names of some good and reputable attorneys.
          Hi

Same here as far as finding a good attorney. I had a two hour consult at no charge, It cost me $764.00 to file and they got me an emergency stay the day I filed.

I am in SE Michigan, if you would like to know who I used you can also PM me.
          Bird Toys

Comment

I'm in the Lansing area if you need a recommendation from me. I haven't filed yet, but I am really happy with my decision for my attorney so far. He came with very very good recommendations.

Comment

Believe me no two lawyers are alike. I have worked in the legal field for many years, and I have worked with all kinds. And remember, when you say, "the law is the law", it is all about one's interpretation of the law. Keep searching for the right attorney for your particular circumstances. It seems like there are people here with recommendations in your area, I would follow some of those leads.
              Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
              341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
              Discharged: 11/30/2009
              Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X