A Whole New Way of Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Whole New Way of Life

I was just thinking about how much our life has changed. We are 42 days into the 60 day club. Before filing, it is so clear now that our life was insanely out of control. We had three car notes totaling 1200.00. Well, one bank took care of that for us and repod our SUV. We were going to reaffirm the other two but the day we were signing the papers my husband's truck motor blew up. So they are coming to get that one. So now we are down to one car note, ten payments left.

My son is in school out of town, and me and my husband work in the same area, but across town from each other, so it has been quite the vehicle shuffle the last few weeks. Today my husband bought a little Nissan for 1200.00. The same amount as what used to be one month of car payments!!! Also, my uncle gave me a 94 Aerostar that's been sitting at his house for a year (when it got to us it had an old garage sale sticker on it saying "make me an offer!") After about 500.00 of work on it it is now on the road. What a sweet guy, huh?

Before all of this started I would have thought that I NEEDED a new car. Now with these two vehicles, which are not the most beautiful in the world by a long shot, I feel so blessed!!! That SUV with the full package and leather interior seems like a whole other world now.

I only wish that I could have seen this then, and stopped the madness!!!!
    When I think about all the money that just got spent on nothing that I can show for it really, I am just sick now. BK has been a huge, huge eye opener. I find I spend so much more time at home now with the kids.

Just wanted to share my little revelation of the day with everyone.
    Good luck with all of your BK journeys!!!

Sounds like you've made the changes necessary to survive the future

I drive a car that is 19 years old. I might need to replace it in 2-3 years we'll see.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Amazing how differently you can start to look at things isn't it? Huge difference between wants and needs. Some people never get it.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Liberating, eh?

We always had 2 new cars, too. Kept them a few years and upgraded. In the 14 years I've been married, we've only had one car that was paid in full. Ended up in dire straights with the loss of dh's job and now we're down to one car instead of 2 cars with loans. When dh returns to work, we'll purchase a good used car. No more car loans for us! Cash only and loving it!
        filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
        341 meeting 6/4/09
        DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

That's the kind of attitude it takes to make it post BK. Good luck.
          Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
          341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
          Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

Just wanted to say to the OP that you are my hero! I love your positive attitude. I was pouting that my 2009 vehicle is not my "dream" car because it does not have leather and all the other bells and whistles. Am I insane? I have a note on a bradn new vehicle that is reasonable and an interest rate of 1.9% (which I know I will not see again for a very long time). I should be grateful and you reminded me of that. There was a time when I was a single parent and did not have a car or a stroller for my baby. I took three buses to get my son to the daycare and get to work. I remember standing out in the snow holding my baby in tears wishing and praying for some type - any type of transportation of my own. Boy, it helps to remember where you came from. Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for what I have!
            Filed: 8-19-09
            341: 9-21-09
            Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Comment

I agree! We are 35 days into the 60 day club.

We just paid off our truck (for the first time in our married lives) and just have one car payment left.

I realize how many hours I used to spend obsessing about how I was going to pay this bill off or that bill off. What a fog I was living in.
              Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
              341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
              Discharged: 11/30/2009
              Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

A whole new way of life for me (and this is very embarrassing and sad) is actually being able to go to the grocery store and pay for my groceries with cash and not with a (just payed the minimum payment so now I can charge again) credit card!
                08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
                04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
                06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
                08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

Very nice post OP. Thanks.
                  7-2-2009 Filed
                  8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                  10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Great post. I'm glad to hear you're spending more time with the kids. That's the most important stuff.
                    Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
                    341 Meeting 09/09/09
                    Discharged 11/12/09
                    Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Thanks for your kind words. I just wish I had gotten the message a couple of years ago.

Is this crazy? I was riding with my husband yesterday in his new to him 93 Nissan truck, and I felt happier than I have in years. Maybe it is just the feeling of finally taking care of business?

Have any of you seen the Lord of the Rings movies? In one of them, Galadriel says, "your quest stands on the edge of a knife, one false step and you will fail" or something close to that. I always felt like we were on the edge of the knife. I can't tell you how many times that thought went through my head when paying bills.

I'm looking forward to getting a savings account and I've actually thought as far ahead as retirement. We are still cutting corners and not really "ahead", but it is good to be looking ahead instead of in panic mode all of the time. AND, we are not creating any new debt at all. I've read this statement a thousand times on this site, but the proverbial huge weight on my shoulders is gone.

Comment

I agree lookingforward. All the stress that I would have saved myself! Actually it only got worse over the last few years.

We've actually had some car problems and paid cash. I'm watching my neighbor go down tha same road.
                        Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                        341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                        Discharged: 11/30/2009
                        Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Me too! I bought tires yesterday in CASH which it's a little embarassing to admit, but I hadn't paid cash for stuff like that in years. It always caught me off guard and I was like, oh well, put it on the credit card I guess and I'll pay it off later.

Big changes. We're so much more frugal now. My wife and I shop with lists and a calculator to make sure we stay in budget! It's a real team effort.
                          Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
                          341 Meeting 09/09/09
                          Discharged 11/12/09
                          Closed 12/14/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X