top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with the little stuff involving credit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with the little stuff involving credit...

The wife and I were considering changing from Comcast (cable) to dish network or direct tv. Service has gone downhill and seems expensive in comparison. But....

We have filed BK and have NO credit cards. The fine print reads 'credit check' required and 'major credit card'. Will a debit card work? Do they somehow know it's a debit card and not an actual unsecured Visa? Can you really get turned down for cable because of BK?

Not a big deal if we can't do it, but it was a way we were exploring to save a couple bucks.
    Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
    341 Meeting 09/09/09
    Discharged 11/12/09
    Closed 12/14/09

Originally posted by killinstinct View Post
    The wife and I were considering changing from Comcast (cable) to dish network or direct tv. Service has gone downhill and seems expensive in comparison. But....

We have filed BK and have NO credit cards. The fine print reads 'credit check' required and 'major credit card'. Will a debit card work? Do they somehow know it's a debit card and not an actual unsecured Visa? Can you really get turned down for cable because of BK?

Not a big deal if we can't do it, but it was a way we were exploring to save a couple bucks.

I/we have direct tv. When we signed up for it several years ago we used a debt card. No bk but not great credit. They send us bills to the house, no direct deduct.

Comment

Originally posted by crashzx View Post
      I/we have direct tv. When we signed up for it several years ago we used a debt card. No bk but not great credit. They send us bills to the house, no direct deduct.
      Cool, thanks. We may give it a try. I also don't want a bunch of inquiries on our credit though, going to try and repair it in case we ever need to move, etc.
      341 Meeting 09/09/09
      Discharged 11/12/09
      Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Cool, thanks. We may give it a try. I also don't want a bunch of inquiries on our credit though, going to try and repair it in case we ever need to move, etc.

I think they just want something to charge the fee to if you break the contract......A..holes

Comment

I have been with DirecTV for many years. Everyone I knew that went to Dish came back.
          The Customer Service is poor at Dish. DirecTV has gone downhill over the years but they are still not as bad as the Dish reports I hear about.
          The little bit of savings is just not worth the hassle with Dish.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I was just told by the boss (if you know what I mean) that we need Shotime. We're talking tiny budget changes now. Everything counts!
            341 Meeting 09/09/09
            Discharged 11/12/09
            Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Thanks for the input. I was just told by the boss (if you know what I mean) that we need Shotime. We're talking tiny budget changes now. Everything counts!
              My boss has to have sifi for ghost hunters and I have to have speed for motorbike races.

Comment

crash-are you related to my DH? I swear - life at our house is about speed for motorcross, etc.

I have had direct for years and every so often get totally irrirtated and end up going to cable or dish. Always end up back at direct.
                Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                Discharged: 11/30/2009
                Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

How about insurance? Any ideas on that. How often do they check credit? Just when you sign up?
                  341 Meeting 09/09/09
                  Discharged 11/12/09
                  Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
                    crash-are you related to my DH? I swear - life at our house is about speed for motorcross, etc.

I have had direct for years and every so often get totally irrirtated and end up going to cable or dish. Always end up back at direct.

No motocross here or nascrap..did that when i was a kid.....I do it on the asphalt. Knee dragging and tripple didget speed here!!!!

Comment

Not sure. I wouldn't think they would run your credit every time your policy renews.

Comment

Originally posted by crashzx View Post
                        No motocross here or nascrap..did that when i was a kid.....I do it on the asphalt. Knee dragging and tripple didget speed here!!!!
                        I hear you. I guess that's why we have a full machine shop in our garage!

Comment

I would hope not. If our rates get jacked we'll have to bail and find someplace else. Probably one of those fly-by-night places for awhile. The insurance company we have now also issues our homeowner's (which we're surrendering). They called the other day and asked if I'd sold the house yet, I said no. I wonder if they'll know about the foreclosure.
                          341 Meeting 09/09/09
                          Discharged 11/12/09
                          Closed 12/14/09

Comment

You may want to look at slickdeals.net or fatwallet.com
                            They have specials listed for dish and DTV, and one thing you can try is threatening to cancel and sometimes you can get a price reduction on your current cable system...they shouldn't have to check credit with a current customer.

Good Luck!
                            7-2-2009 Filed
                            8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                            10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
                              I hear you. I guess that's why we have a full machine shop in our garage!
                              Yea...I have a buddy who takes care of that for me. I just set the suspension and tune. But the complete paint shop in my back yard is my specialty. Why just go fast....when you can look the part too

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X