Question regarding records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding records

After a discharge is there ANY reason to keep all the paperwork that was turned in to the Trustee?

I have over 700 pages of documents that were depressing me and I would LOVE to shred them one by one and toss them.

Thanks.
    Very fortunate in the grand scheme of things but have learned my lesson.

Filed 12/15/08, 341 1/12/09, Cont to 2/12/09, cont to 3/12/09, cont to 4/15/09, cont to 5/11/09, cont to 6/02/09. Discharged 9/16/09, Closed 10/23/09

Me too! I want to have a freaking bonfire. Anyone?
    Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
    341 Meeting 09/09/09
    Discharged 11/12/09
    Closed 12/14/09

Comment

I would keep them for at least a year after discharge.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by Lajazz947 View Post
        After a discharge is there ANY reason to keep all the paperwork that was turned in to the Trustee?

I have over 700 pages of documents that were depressing me and I would LOVE to shred them one by one and toss them.

Thanks.
        Lajazz - I know what you mean! However, I am scanning mine onto a CD - along with every single page of backup information. In my case, that is 2000 pages. I am thinking that since it is fairly common to sell discharged debt to JDB's (junk debt buyers) that at some point some collector will dun me for amounts due. And I am equally sure the amounts will bear no resemblence to the actual amount. I will have all the proof + my discharge to go after them for sanctions.

If it never happens, not a big deal since it is just one CD. If it does happen, then I have the proof and they are toast!
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by Lajazz947 View Post

Thanks.
          As in government request to eliminate paper, you must make two copies of every item shredded, file one set, and keep the other set where you replaced the shredded copy. Do this as it is necessary by the governments action for reduction in use of paper to save money. Think I'm kidding? 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Oh as corrupt and devious as people are in this country is I will be keeping mine for about 5-7 years. i am getting pretty darn good at ogranizing. Been doing it for 3 weeks now and dont see me stopping any time soon.

Comment

It's worth it just to scan it and keep it.

Also remember that you will be able to access your court documents on Pacer for at least 10 years.
              Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
              341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
              Discharged: 11/30/2009
              Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Sorry for busting in like this, but I have never used one of these sites before. I do have a question regarding Chapter 7. My husband and I filed 10/26/ 2008, Discharge was 1/27/2009. My question is when is the bankruptcy closed? in 8/2009 we received letter from Credit Union that Trustee had sent them a letter telling them to close our credit card, which was not included in the original filing and had a $00 balance. Can they still do things like this after the discharge? When is the end?

Comment

Originally posted by angellady View Post
                  Sorry for busting in like this, but I have never used one of these sites before. I do have a question regarding Chapter 7. My husband and I filed 10/26/ 2008, Discharge was 1/27/2009. My question is when is the bankruptcy closed? in 8/2009 we received letter from Credit Union that Trustee had sent them a letter telling them to close our credit card, which was not included in the original filing and had a $00 balance. Can they still do things like this after the discharge? When is the end?
                  Honestly...why would you want a credit card if you have gone through what I am going through. Cash is king here from now on!!

Comment

I'm not that concerned about the card, although it will help if I need an airline ticket or rent a car. Try that with cash, good luck. Anyway my question is the timeline after discharge. How long before a case is closed and they can't mess with your business or personal life anymore? It has been over 8 months since the discharge and it is still not closed!

Comment

Did you have an asset Ch 7?

It sounds like it. They usually take longer to close because the asset has to be disposed (liquidated). Or did you have to make payments on something in order to keep it, like Hub did. In which state do you reside?
                      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

We had a piece of property that we sold and paid off the car and the cc, at the advice of our attorney, ok'd by trustee, we had a boat they didn't want, and a time share the trustee abandoned. We have a 5th wheel we are still paying on that was not included in the bk. Other than that, nothing else.
                        We live in AZ

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X