Close account or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close account or not?

I am new and have read a lot about closing checking accounts before filing and opening a new one after.

I have a checking account that is not associated with any of my finances except for paying car insurance and my car loan payment, which is current and I plan to keep.
    Would the bank do anything once I filed?
    Is it necessary to close this account?
    Not sure what to do?

Originally posted by moo View Post
    I am new and have read a lot about closing checking accounts before filing and opening a new one after.

I have a checking account that is not associated with any of my finances except for paying car insurance and my car loan payment, which is current and I plan to keep.
    Would the bank do anything once I filed?
    Is it necessary to close this account?
    Not sure what to do?
    No not in your case. If your account is not with a place you have other accounts you are safe. If you have legal action though like a judgment, keep the account low in funds. As a newbie, use money for essentials and do not use CCs. Without more background this is it. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
      No not in your case. If your account is not with a place you have other accounts you are safe. 'Hub
      Hi. I read op's original question to mean that his car loan IS with the bank that he has a checking account with. Does your advice still apply? I ask because my situation is similiar - car loan with the same bank as checking/savings accounts. BUT current on all payments with 2 years left and planning to keep the car.

Also, wanted to follow up with a related question to op's: what if you use your checking account to make online payments to creditors? In some cases, my creditor's website has my account/routing number (or debit card number) stored in their system. Should I close the account if planning to file? Do creditors have any legal right to use that stored info for recovering debt thru my account?

major

Comment

Today I discovered that the Bank of America credit card that I was having drafted out of my other checking account keeps my routing and account number stored in there system even after I stopped auto payments. BofA said even though I stopped auto payments the account information stays and it can only be removed if I replace it with another account number (Even if I don't plan to use auto payment).

I guess I have the same question. Can the bank just start trying any banking information that they have on file? Can they just keep that type of information on file even if you asked for it to be removed? We are even current on that card and they will not remove it from there system.
        Last edited by moo; 09-21-2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X