I still haven't told my boyfriend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still haven't told my boyfriend...

Some of you may remember this thread I posted back in February. A response I posted in a different thread is prompting me to revisit this issue.

When should I tell the truth?

I filed for CH7 BK back in February and, at that time, I had been dating my boyfriend for two months. I made the decision to not tell him about my BK, at least at that point in time. We were still getting to know each other and the timing just didn't seem right. I had no idea where the relationship would go, if anywhere, and it just seemed too soon. Since then, I was discharged back in July and my case was closed.

Fast forward to today: in six weeks we will be dating for one full year. I can't say that I'm surprised that it has worked out so well and that we work together so well. It's been absolutely wonderful. He is an amazing man, an incredible father, and I am truly blessed to have him and his two kids in my life. I want to spend the rest of my life with him and build a life and family together with him and his kids.

BUT... I still haven't told him and it's time. If I wait much longer, he's going to feel betrayed and he might even wonder if there are more things that I have kept from him. We have discussed marriage but aren't engaged and haven't established a time line to get married. We have not formally discussed finances yet. We have had some general financial discussions but nothing in detail. You know, "I make xxxx amount of money each year; I have xxx amount of money in the bank; I have xxx amount in my retirement account; and xxxx amount of debt." That hasn't happened. He did tell me that he has a first and second mortgage on his house and the amount that he owes, but that's about as detailed as we've gotten.

Do I hold off and tell him when we finally have *the finance* talk. Or, do I wait and tell him when we have a serious talk about getting married - serious, as in discussing an engagement? Or, do I just spill it at the next appropriate time?

More than anything, I am afraid that he will be disappointed in me and think I am irresponsible. There was a lot that went into my decision to file BK and it had everything to do with my divorce that was finalized just months before I filed. As much as I hated coming to the decision that I had to file, it was the financially responsible thing to do. I was forced into the position I found myself in and I had no other options.

What do you think? When do I do this and how do you think he'll react? Have I waited too long? Is it going to be a dealbreaker?

ETA: The other night I was talking to him about the QDRO that has *finally* been entered in my divorce case. In the next couple weeks, I will be getting half of my ex's 401k and because I'm receiving the transfer through a QDRO I have the option of cashing out my portion without having to pay an early withdrawal penalty (I'd still have to pay income taxes, obviously). I mentioned this to him and he didn't say much. A couple days later he asked if I made a decision and I told him I was still thinking about it. He said, "You could use that money for a down payment on a house..." I thought to myself, "Uhm. Not really." BUT... I really don't want my own house and I told him that. As I single woman, I don't need to worry about upkeep, lawn mowing, snow removal, taxes, maintenance, etc. That's what I said and that's the truth. But, looking back, it might have been a good opportunity to drop the bomb.
    Last edited by cupcake; 09-23-2009, 06:51 AM.
    CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
    341 Meeting 4/7/2009
    Discharged 7/10/2009
    Closed 7/28/2009

Well "IT IS WHAT IT IS".... I think bk is an embarrasing thing to admit to... Maybe its just me but sometimes I look at people and wonder what they would think of me if they knew I was about to file bk. That my finances are a disaster but then other times I think no one really knows about someone elses skeletons in the closets so to speak.
    I think u have to do what is best for you . I retained an attorney 2 mths ago and havent told my boyfriend yet. He knows I am comptiplating BK but doesnt think I should do it. Thank god he has some financial issues himself due to a high priced divorce and some other things. I want his advise but in the end it is my decision.
    I would test the waters .. Throw out a few questions in your conversations to get a feel of how his past financial woes might have been and go from there.
    In the end I think it will work out for you. You had just started dating and who wants to disclose all there financial affairs then ...Talk about making someone run the other way. You may be surprised to find out he will understand why u didnt tell him and the fact that its not something u discuss on your first date
    Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
    Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
    Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

for f**** sake what's the big deal? It's not like you killed someone. Bankruptcy was a way out and you took it. Nothing to be embarrassed about. If he's the kind of person that judges you for filing bk, dump his ass. Get on with your life.
      Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
        for f**** sake what's the big deal? It's not like you killed someone. Bankruptcy was a way out and you took it. Nothing to be embarrassed about. If he's the kind of person that judges you for filing bk, dump his ass. Get on with your life.
        Well said, nc73, well said!!!
        08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
        04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
        06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
        08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

^I AGREE!

But... so many people look down on those who file for bankruptcy, regardless of situation and circumstance. The average person struggling to pay their bills every month and put food on the table for their kids looks down on people who file. Seriously, have you read any recent online news articles about bankruptcy and scrolled down to look at the reader comments? Holy crow. The hate amazes me. For example, these are reader comments from an article about bankruptcy:

Why in the world does this article elicit sympathy for an inveterate debtor ?
          This woman is a serial deadbeat.

That's great, she likes to shop and we get to pay for it.

This is why there should be no such thing as bankrupcy for credit card debt. She should be forced to pay something toward it till the day she dies. It's thievery as far as I am concerned.

What a country, no one accepts responsiblity for thier own actions. its always someone elses fault. 50,000 DOLLARS ON A CREDIT CARD?? Absurd man, just absurd.

My boyfriend is as conservative as it gets. I've heard him make comments about financially irresponsible people before and I'm afraid he'll think I'm some kind of financial deadbeat when he finds out. I just don't want him to think less of me.
          CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
          341 Meeting 4/7/2009
          Discharged 7/10/2009
          Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

Well I guess we all have different views on it. I was ALWAYS one to pay my bills and when I heard of someone filing bankruptcy the thought always crossed my mind "glad that will never be me" ... It was for all those othere people who spent beyond there means and took the easy way out....And lo and behold here I am...Yes, I admit I am embarrased about it and it took a while to accept that this was the answer for me but it is....So I accept full responsibility for getting in this mess and I take full responsibility for getting out of this mess...
            What IS a big deal to some is nothing to others. I guess its ones values and how they view things.. Not that anybody is right or anybody is wrong its just a difference of opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
            Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
            Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

lifes storys told...

If you make it a big deal he will see you as weak and someone who can't handle life... be strong as you must be since you've been able to live alongside him without him knowing... tell him when you feel good about talking about credit and also tell him the Good, you have No Debts either.

Being a conservative myself has caused me to live far to long without looking this way for help and now i'm at my ropes end (loss of job),,, so as long as you trying working things out and maybe your Career circumstances caused you to be where you were, unless you were truly irresponsible and just used BK as a crutch, when you could pay your bills... you'll be OK

Remember, you can wait til he asks you with that Ring, just hint to him,,, Get a Ring with Cash even if its not what truly catches your eye, but knowing its ours means more to me than I can share just yet.... Then he won't be obligated to charge a huge amount to get a fancy rock and maybe you can tell your story from that too. Wait he's take you into Jewelry stores to get your likings then remember its not the Ring, its that man behind that Ring.... it will be ok
              Last edited by JoePlumber; 09-23-2009, 11:48 AM. Reason: content

Comment

It's something you did pre the BF and if you tell him you do if you don't you don't but trust issues will later pop up. Maybe it is more of how to tell him. I'm guessing that for the past 9months you ahve been paying and keeping up on all things show him that, then explain how you learned the hard way to do it. Just a thought. Same page is a the best for a relationship but sometimes one gets ahead of the other.

Comment

Hi. You said the bankruptcy had everything to do with your divorce. If you explain it to him within that context then it doesn't sound like something that was totally within your control...just fallout from a marriage that went sour. Isn't divorce sorta the same idea as bankruptcy anyway, lol.

Comment

I would say if he's the one, then he would understand and if I were you I would tell him sooner than later. I think by what you've said you will feel better when you get off your chest. Good luck cupcake!

Comment

If you tell him and he bolts, he wasn't the one for you anyway and wasn't the perfect catch after all. BK is nothing to be ashamed of and if I were him I'd be happy to start my life with someone that made a business decision to better herself financially. In a couple of years your credit will be back to where it needs to be and you'll be just fine. If he can't understand that then you don't need him.
                      Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
                      341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
                      Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

Tell him and get it out of the way. While you're there, find out about his finances too. He may not be on sound footing with his finances either.

And as to the comments..... 5 years ago, I would have been one of those making those comments and looking down my nose at you. Things change, times change, people change. Don't worry about what the others think. Your first job is to take care of you and yours.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Cupcake: If your relationship is as serious as you say, then you don't want to be in a position where you are afraid to tell him anything!! Remember, this is the man you want to spend the rest of your life with hopefully - that means he loves you NO MATTER WHAT! Unconditional Love is what relationship is about!

You will do fine!
                          Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                          341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                          Discharged: 11/30/2009
                          Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

I believe this is all in how you handle it.

This can be spun in different ways, all of which are honest.

I was dumb and made some bad decisions.

We (me and ex) were dumb and made some bad decisions.

It was totally my dumba** ex's fault. I am paying the price.

I was smart, but circumstances worked against me.

I was smart but made a bad choice.

I was smart but others were smarter (in this one instance).

And so on.

Most important is that, if he is truly the man you think he is, none of that will matter. He will either accept the truth or not. If he does not, then your view of him may change. and that may save you years of grief. And another divorce.

The stigma that used to be attached to BK is fading fast. Companies declare BK every day for all kinds of reasons. Some are quite trivial.

It is also your right as an individual. You have done nothing illegal, immoral, or unethical. I think this is where the stigma still gets to people sometimes.

In any case, I do think you should explain it to him in stark terms. If he bolts, you have learned that he is, probably, not as wonderful as he seemed.

Good luck,

-dmc
                            11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
                            12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
                            3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

I remember your 1st post regarding the "new boyfriend"...wow, has it almost been a year already?!? Anyway, I agree with the others, tell him! I know it's hard, but you have NOTHING to be ashamed of and think of it as a business decision. You handled your business and moved on with your life (and meet this guy). If he is the "right guy" then he'll understand...otherwise, it wasn't meant to be. Good Luck and be strong!
                              May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                              May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                              May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                              9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X