credit card payments after you file bk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

credit card payments after you file bk

i cant remember the rules on paying credit card payments after you file a bk?

can you send in a payment?

can you pay it off?

its a $400 balance.

is there a limit to how much you can pay before its preferential?

wow, ive gone full circle and have forgotten what i learned at the start
    Im not an attorney or a trustee. You cant trust me either though!

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
    [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
    [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
    [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Hey, why would you want to pay it, since it will be discharged in a few weeks, yes?

I think you should not pay anything after you file except for secured debt like a car you want to keep, utility bills, etc... any unsecured consumer credit debt should not be paid after you file. RIGHT?
    Last edited by quest42; 11-06-2005, 09:30 PM.
    I'm in N. California ... Thanks for your replies!
    10/11/05: bought www.form7.com software
    10/14/05: Filed Ch 7 BK Petition pro se skeleton
    10/27/05: Filed all schedules, etc.
    11/17/05: 341 meeting (done!)
    01/16/06: Last day to file objections
    01/18/06: Discharged, closed

Bankruptcy LINKS

Comment

well yes but i wanted to keep this one for whatever reason.

anyone know the rules on this about payments still being made and size and such?

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
      [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
      [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
      [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Comment

You can choose to re-affirm it, but there's no guarantee that they won't drop you after it's paid or change the int. rate. Some cc co's will make deals with you. One that had recently bought my cc and raised the int. rate to 29.9% and told me that there was nothing I could do about it, just offered me a 0% rate if I would keep it.
        We also "forgot" to list a store cc, but it had a zero balance and they don't charge any interest.
        If you re-affirm or make any deal with them, be sure to read the fine print. Art

Comment

ok good points. do they send the re-affirmation letter or do we?

what im actually wondering is making payments to them before any re-afformation agreement or whatever.

can we send payments and what size is considered preferencial?

i cant recall where i read this info. is it anythign over $600. memory is gone lol.

Comment

Payments over $600 total within 90 days of filing is considered preferential.

If you didn't 'forget' to include the card then they've probably already marked your account as included in bankruptcy. (Assuming you filed before 10/17, they received your notice 2+ weeks ago.) I'd suggest that you NOT send them $$ without getting something in writing that they will allow the account to stay open & continue to report.

Your better bet would be to set that $400 aside, and if you can't get a regular 'rebuilder' type card after the BK is over, then put it into getting a secured card. At least that way, the money is still yours.
            Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X