Joint Accounts with 89 year old father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint Accounts with 89 year old father

Getting ready to file in October. Do I need to be taken off of these accounts? I don't want my creditors to be able to take my father's money.

Thanks,

Nwit, we have that too, but we have never used the accounts in 15 years since it was set up. Hubby is on the accounts in case mom is put in a home and he has to pay the bills. He has never put anything in to the account or drawn a dime out even for her because she is still lucid. I am not sure, are you using the accounts too? Our attorney told us to not worry about it.

Comment

No, I have never used the accounts.

Comment

my hubby's name was on a booster account and the atty knew this she said Is it your money we said No she said not to worry about it. I'm on my sons account and she said the same about that one. It's was us who were going BK and others aren't responsible for us. so I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Nwit View Post
          Getting ready to file in October. Do I need to be taken off of these accounts? I don't want my creditors to be able to take my father's money.

Thanks,
          Ask your attorney. Anything your name is attached to, when you file bankrupcty can become the property of the bankruptcy trustee.
          Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
          Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Check with your attorney for sure! Every court, every district, every trustee handles everything differently. With that being said, my DH is on his mom's account. Our attorney said not to worry.

It's her money. He's just on it in case we need to pay bills, which is starting to happen.
            Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
            341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
            Discharged: 11/30/2009
            Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X