Employer notification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employer notification?

Okay, a weird thing happened at work - I overheard someone in the Legal Dept. make reference to receiving some type of notice/mailing related to a chapter 7 BK. It was not clear whether this was related to an employee or a client.

I know that sometimes with a chapter 13 the employer finds out because of a wage attachment. But, for a chapter 7 why would there be any correspondence with the employer? Does the BK court not trust paystubs and contact the employer to verify the salary or 401(k) balance? Any thoughts on why the employer would be contacted in a chapter 7?

I'm planning to file a chapter 13 myself next year and I'm paranoid that people I know at my job (in Legal and Payroll) will find out and that it will negatively impact my job since I'm in the financial services industry. The BK attorney I meet with said in wage attachments don't usually occur in my BK court so I'm hoping I can get through this without my job knowing.

I have the similar issues as you Jammed. I am in the financial industry as well and I have to notify my employer due to FINRA licensing. Ater our case is closed, I have to update my U4 form and send them $100. I am so dreading the day I have to inform them. After my manager knows, I am sure all management will know. I can already foresee the looks and hear the wispers. I use to be in management with my company so I know exactly how they operate. Our local paper also publishes the bk so it won't be a secret for me.

Comment

It totally stinks. I'm sure all the managers will "disapprove" of me filing and may hold it against me as if it were a major character flaw or something. I'm not licensed so technically I probably don't need to tell my company - but it sounds like the Legal Dept. will find out one way or the other.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X