Help, I need a new bank!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, I need a new bank!

I currently have a credit union with a credit card and I need to find a new bank so they do not take my husbands direct deposit paycheck when the BK starts.

But... I have no idea what banks are associated with my credit cards/store cards so I do not open an account and they try to take the money. Here are the ones I know the banks for:

chase
    spirit of america national bank
    citibank
    hsbc
    bank of america

I have accounts with GE Money and Discover, are they independent or is there a bank behind them?

I was thinking about TCF bank but I have heard bad things about them. I live in Michigan, any advice? I would need an account that I can direct deposit a payroll check into and comes with checks and a debit card. I am also looking at National City Bank and Charter One.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by adviceplease; 10-19-2009, 06:15 PM.

It's my understanding that Discover cc are backed by Discover. GE money bank is what gives out all those store credit cards. I think in that case you should be ok.

I don't have any other options of where you should go however. Maybe pick another CU?
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Why not talk with your CU? 'Hub and I wanted to keep our accounts with his CU--a pride thing of nearly 40 years.

We reaffirmed an automobile loan and an overdraft account. After some several tense days, the CU reaffirmed and reinstated us.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Are you BK'ing your CU? If so, how much? Are you going to re-affirm? If you answer yes, lots, and no, you need to get the (*&^$ out. Just cash his checks at Wal-mart if you have to but DO NOT DEPOSIT THEM there once you default.
        Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
        341 Meeting 09/09/09
        Discharged 11/12/09
        Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Originally posted by adviceplease View Post
          I currently have a credit union with a credit card and I need to find a new bank so they do not take my husbands direct deposit paycheck when the BK starts.

But... I have no idea what banks are associated with my credit cards/store cards so I do not open an account and they try to take the money. Here are the ones I know the banks for:

chase
          spirit of america national bank
          citibank
          hsbc
          bank of america

I have accounts with GE Money and Discover, are they independent or is there a bank behind them?

I was thinking about TCF bank but I have heard bad things about them. I live in Michigan, any advice? I would need an account that I can direct deposit a payroll check into and comes with checks and a debit card. I am also looking at National City Bank and Charter One.

Thanks!!
          National City is a good bank and they have a secured visa card if you decide you want to rebuild your credit after discharge.
          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

ING Direct.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              Why not talk with your CU? 'Hub and I wanted to keep our accounts with his CU--a pride thing of nearly 40 years.

We reaffirmed an automobile loan and an overdraft account. After some several tense days, the CU reaffirmed and reinstated us.
              I called the credit union and they said they are going to freeze all my accounts until their lawyer tells them what to do one they recieve word of the BK. They said that they did not care that I was not on the credit card that they do cross collateral and that because I am on 2 mortgages with him they will take the money from my accounts and freeze it also. I did not tell her my account number and she was like don't even tell me your account number, um okay I wasn't going to.

I went and opened an account with the bank that is by my house and they have no credit cards through them that we have. I am hoping that if hubby gets the direct deposit info today and we mail it off tomorrow the change will be made by his next pay period on next Friday because CC is going to be 5 days late by that point and they usually freeze it by then.

Does anyone know what freezing means? Usually if we are late they freeze the check card and online banking but not checks, so maybe I could have him write a check from the CU to our new bank? Last time the direct deposit took a month to start.

Comment

Once your account is frozen, nothing will work. You will have no way to take funds out of the account, period! So checks, debt cards, whatever...will NOT work.

If there is money in that account, you best go get it.

As for setting up a new direct deposit for your hubby's pay, it typically takes about 3 weeks to complete that...in my experience.
                8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

I don't know who backs a regular Discover card but if you have a Discover card through Wal-Mart, it is backed by GE Money bank. I know because filing BK was the only way I could get the 3 lawsuits they had against me stopped.

Comment

When an account is "Frozen" is the account holder notified via Mail, or is it just a surprise when direct debits are rejected? I ask because I have a small amount of money in a CHASE account, and they happen to be two of the credit cards I wrapped into my BK.

Thanks,
                    Dealingsdone

Comment

If it's a small amount, they probably won't touch it.
                      Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                      341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                      Discharged: 11/30/2009
                      Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

I am not sure about any other account but when we are late on a payment they just freeze any check cards/credit cards that are associated with the account and shut down the online and phone access.

I called the CU and they said after 10 days they will freeze the account for non-payment but any checks written will clear, I am not sure if when they find out about the BK if it is different and the checks will not clear either. We are probably looking at about 18 days for the direct deposit to switch over and 15 for our checking at the CU to be frozen so it will be close.

Does anyone know how long after the lawyer files that the creditors are notified? We are not filing until the 2nd or so and the DD will change over on the 6th so I am hoping to write a check off the account to get hubbys payroll and put it in the new bank. It just irks me that this is happening because the CC is only around $650 and we have always made payments on it, they moved over $8500 into a 2nd mortgage months ago so they are not losing much and they are at fault for taking so long to close the card down.

It's amazing how the personality was all cheery until I said the B word.

Comment

Get all your money out of the credit union right now! I would go there and get cash to deposit to the new bank, not a check. I have two bank accounts, my primary for paying bills is ING direct, they are an online bank. I have been with them for years and they are wonderful, and they have ATM's to access my cash. My other account is local in MI with TCF, I have not had any problems with them, and they are open 7 days a week. I use that account mainly for depositing any cash I recieve, or checks that are not direct deposit.

My creditors were notified within 2 days of my filing, and my auto loan was notified that afternoon.
                          Filed 9/14/09
                          Confirmed 12/11/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X