Which would you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which would you choose?

a cheap rental at the low end of your budget for a year or two to get back on your feet in an area that doesn't have the best schools for your kids but you could save money every month....

OR

rent a modest home at the top of your target price range in an area that has great schools and save not as much every month.

We have two school aged kids so the school thing is a big thing for us, but also we realize this might be the only way for us build up a reserve. We are going to have to pull them out of their current schools anyway when our home is foreclosed on and we plan to move to entirely different area about 45 miles away. We are in a 13.

Well, I chose the first option and rented a place that I could easily afford. The school my kids go to is not the best, but it's actually better than some in the high rent districts.

Additionally, we stay focused on what the kids are learning and making sure they are making good progress. My kids have always been avid readers since about the first grade, so their education is well supplemented by their other reading.

Bottom line is that it may take a little more effort on your part to ensure a good education for your kids, but it is possible. And consider that you'll be much more involved in your kids lives than if you just let the school do it all.
    Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Post bk, money has to be the name of the game. Bk is all about a fresh start financially. Time to act like a good capitalist and maximize your earnings and at the same time keep your expenses as low as possible.

Comment

flower04, if you decide to choose option 1, you will have extra funds in your savings - and I have to say that it really reduces the stress level to have several months of expenses sitting in savings. That reserve you talk about in your post is very important to peace of mind and actually is one of the best benefits of filing BK....to get that peace of mind. Good luck in your decision....
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Don't throw out the option of home schooling your children.
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

If there is a difference, I would vote for the option that gives you more time with your kids. All other things being equal, then it would be option 1, with the understanding that it's not just up to the school to provide an education to my children. Our school, which is fairly good, will be the same pre- and post- bk, and I can tell a difference easily in those children who have parental participation and those who don't. If I thought moving and giving up something would provide a better education, we would do it.
            1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
            2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
            4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

Education is only as good as the help at home and the care and concern at home. You can send them to the best schools and still have problems. While I guess I could not live in an area that has high crime and violence in the classroom, I could deal with a lessor school. Some of those schools have great teachers and will work extra hard if they know you care!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                Don't throw out the option of home schooling your children.
                I totally agree. If one of you doesn't work outside of the home rent the less expensive house and give them the best education they could possibly get. No one cares more than you do about their success. Think about it.

OhioFiler do you homeschool?
                Southern District of Florida
                Filed Ch 7 - 8/6/09 341 - 9/14/09
                Report of No Distribution - 9/18/09
                DISCHARGE ! 11/23/09 Closed 12/8/09

Comment

Originally posted by doingpoorly View Post
                  I totally agree. If one of you doesn't work outside of the home rent the less expensive house and give them the best education they could possibly get. No one cares more than you do about their success. Think about it.

OhioFiler do you homeschool?
                  I do after the public school sends them home for the day!
                  Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

We have been living in the "low rent district" and one thing to keep in mind is that it is not just the schools that affect you. It affects your whole mind set when you have to worry about your cars getting broken into, getting woken up in the middle of the night with fights, harley's outside your windows at 3am. there is MUCH less consideration for one another in the "low rent" side of things. We have found a happy medium, good part of town, well established, but not the biggest and best. and we home school so the schools don't really matter. But living in the cheap part of town has its own set of problems and expenses that you never bargained on!

Comment

needachance-Thanks for your input. This is something I am worried about as well and neglected to put it in the original post because the schools in these two areas really reflect the community. It is very judgemental for me to say that lower income areas have higher incidence of crimes, so I actually checked the registered sex offender list for the area we are looking at with lower rent and there are 79 within a 15 mile radius. That seems like a lot to me. Especially when your childen will be outside playing and coming to/from the bus/school. The area where we currently live shows 9 in a 15 mile radius. I don't plan to home school my children but I can and will if needs be. I also, like Ohiofiler said, homeschool them when they get home and we supplement what teh school does on a daily basis.

I wish these decisions were easy to make, but there is always something. Thanks for your input.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X