top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long to wait to file? and when to close checking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long to wait to file? and when to close checking?

According to what I read so far. we won't be able to file BK until Jan because we have made recent charges of over $1,000 to the credit card, Jan will be 60 days after the last charge. Am I correct in this?

My 2nd question is do I close my checking account now or wait til I retain a lawyer? I have quit paying my creditors as of now, I was paying them electronically through my checking account.

I'm just wondering why no one replied to this thread?

Regarding IamDone's question, is it 60 days or 90 days after a credit card charge? BTW, why do we need to close the checking account at all? I hope someone will chime in on this..

Comment

No need to close checking accounts, unless you owe that same bank money on other things, like credit card or loans.

In that case, you may want to close it in advance, or you could end up with the bank cleaning it out to pay your other debts with them.

The 60-90 day lookback period is general advice. The larger the purchase or transfer, the more time you want before filing. For large and luxury items, trustees can go back a LONG time. Years.

If it is a grand or less, 60-90 is probably fine.
      11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
      12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
      3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

I have been advised that general living expenses like food, clothes, gas, insurance were ok on the CC within a few months of filing. Would you think that even with these types of charges we would need to wait more than a month or two? Is it better to make some payments even if lower than the minimum?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X