Stopping paying cc's before filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping paying cc's before filing

How long do most people stop paying credit cards before filing for bankruptcy. We stopped starting in July/August, and September/October. I have a name of an attorney, but cannot yet bring myself to make the call. I know I have to real soon. So, my question is how long did most people stop paying before filing. Thanks!!!

I filed Ch 7 no asset. I stopped paying July 08 and filed Nov 08. I was current on all of my bills. I think if you can surprise your creditors by filing you have the upper hand. It reduces the likely hood of your accounts being sold to Junk Debt Collectors(JDC) who will hound you with calls. Make sure you meet with 3 attorneys. BTW.. making the call is the hardest step.

Keep in mind the outcome you want and the feeling of freedom and it will make it easier to call and file. This forum is also a great resource for the nerves.

Comment

I am about the same timeline as you, and have consulted with 2 attorneys so far.

I have been procrastinating also, It is a hard thing to push yourself into.

the attorneys deal with it every day however, to them its all in a days work I suppose
      Marie

Comment

Our last payment on any credit card was in January of this year. We had our first consultations with several attorneys in mid-January, retained one a month or two later...don't remember exactly. It's now November and we're close to being ready. I'm thinking if we can't get the filing done before the end of the month we'll have to wait until we file taxes next year, which pushes the filing date back to February at least, making it over a year from the last payment to the filing. Others on this board have gone longer without being sued.

As someone else has pointed out, if you keep current they won't call. If you have the cash to do that then great, but I'm confused about why you would file if you can keep current. Once you've retained an attorney, you can give any collectors your attorney's phone number. Very few will call a second time after you give them that information.

Comment

[QUOTE=fireworks;352608
          As someone else has pointed out, if you keep current they won't call. If you have the cash to do that then great, but I'm confused about why you would file if you can keep current. Once you've retained an attorney, you can give any collectors your attorney's phone number. Very few will call a second time after you give them that information.[/QUOTE]

Keeping current and being able to pay down debts is a little different. Yes, I was current on all my bills. However, it would have only taken one big problem for my balancing act to come falling down. I came to realization that my income was not increasing to pay off debt. I was not able to put enough away for retirement either. So... filing bankruptcy and investing the money in myself made sense. I was not happy I had to do this.. I was being realistic.. about my situation.

Comment

Agreed - if you're not getting anywhere then you're not getting anywhere. You'll find no objection from me. If you know you're filing, quit paying - it'll take them much longer to sue you then it will for you to get your bankruptcy filed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X