This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney costs

The attorney I'm considering using charges $1,500 for a chapter 7, which seems in-line with other attorneys, but wants $4,500 for a chapter 13.

Is their fee for a chapter 13 too high?

Nearly every BK district has what is known as the "no look" fee for chapter 13. In chapter 13 bankruptcy, your attorney must include in your chapter 13 a "fee request" to the court, where the attorney outlines the work and time spent on your case to justify the fee charged. To streamline this process, nearly every BK district (the court) has established a fee and a set of minimum services an attorney must provide in a chapter 13. If the attorney charges that minimum fee, then he merely needs to do a "fee disclosure".

I would not consider a $4,500 chapter 13 fee is too high. Chapter 13's involve considerably more time and expertise.
    Last edited by HHM; 12-31-2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I was quoted same in NJ for the ch7 and ch13 as you indicted.
      It seems there is more work involved for preparation and figures.
      Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
      Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
      341 Meeting 01/05/2009
      Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

We paid $1000 for a 7 and he quoted us with $3500 for a 13.
        Filed 8-21-09
        341 10-9-09
        12-14-09 Discharged
        12-29-09 CLOSED!!!

Comment

I paid $1,500 including the attorney and filing fee for ch 7 so that seems reasonable. But I also had 2 attorneys that wanted to charge me $3,500 because I had a lot of business debt.

Comment

I'm gonna pay $1700 for a Chapter 7, but that covers the credit counsel and filing fee too.
            North Carolina

Comment

Ok, time to stop this thread in its tracks, before it becomes a long list of "I paid..."

There are tons of threads with this type of info, and frankly, it is not every helpful as there is significant regional variation.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X