car exemptions in ch. 13 vs 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car exemptions in ch. 13 vs 7

New here. I will be filing for ch. 13. If I own a car paid off worth $10k, and we buy a car worth $5000 (to replace my husbands with 200k miles on it) with our tax refund first...will that make us owe $5000 more to the c/c companies since we will be $5000 over the $10000 exemption on cars? Or no, because it is ch.13 and not 7?

The is no difference in your exemption amount for a 7 vs a 13.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

Originally posted by worriedmom View Post
      New here. I will be filing for ch. 13. If I own a car paid off worth $10k, and we buy a car worth $5000 (to replace my husbands with 200k miles on it) with our tax refund first...will that make us owe $5000 more to the c/c companies since we will be $5000 over the $10000 exemption on cars? Or no, because it is ch.13 and not 7?
      In a 13 creditors must receive as much as they would in a chapter 7 liquidation.

In a 13 you will pay all of your disposable income in to the plan.
      If you are $5000 over your vehicle exemption (and can't cover it with some type of wildcard exemption) then your plan will need to propose you pay back at least $5000 in the plan.

So... example:
      If your DMI is $200/mo @ 60 months = $12,000 - being over your exemptions by $5000 is not a problem since you are paying back $12k.

If your DMI is $50/mo @ 60 months = $3,000 - Not enough to cover what you are over on exemptions, you would need to propose a plan paying back at least $84/mo.
      Filed CH13 - 06/2009
      Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Forgotten: We are negative by means test, but still could swing an $100 (total) month payment to unsecured creditors. Problem is we have about $900/month coming out of paychecks from 401k loans and don't know how they will look at that?? After payroll deductions, our family of 6 nets about $3200 before bills. No way our car will make it another 2 years even, but don't want to make our ch.13 last 5 years if it can last 3.

Comment

I asked in another thread, but didn't get an answer. If you need to buy a car while under a Chapter 13 plan can you? If so are there limits to which you can spend?

Comment

Originally posted by Depressed View Post
            I asked in another thread, but didn't get an answer. If you need to buy a car while under a Chapter 13 plan can you? If so are there limits to which you can spend?
            Yes. You would need court approval to incur additional debt and find a lender willing to finance you while in an active chapter 13. Expect a very high interest rate.

The monthly payment would need to be under IRS limits, and once agian, subject to court approval.
            Filed CH13 - 06/2009
            Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X