top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess it's time to start interviewing attorneys....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess it's time to start interviewing attorneys....

This is the part I've been dreading.

We said we'd do it after the holidays were over...because the kids were on break from school, and all the family gatherings etc...

Now that we're back in a routine, it's time to start interviewing.....

I know it's ideal for both my husband and I to go--but he's had a hectic work schedule and not getting off till later in the day, would it be "ok" for me to go to the initial consult if push came to shove, or will that vary with each attorney?

We stopped paying CC's sometime in mid November I guess--so now that it's going on 2 months, I don't want to put off the process of finding an attorney any longer.

Originally posted by JEM View Post

I know it's ideal for both my husband and I to go--but he's had a hectic work schedule and not getting off till later in the day, would it be "ok" for me to go to the initial consult if push came to shove, or will that vary with each attorney?
    I don't think there would be a problem with just you going on the initial consult. If that man of yours has any sense, he'll do what you say anyways. After all, if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

JEM I've gone to 2 in person consults without my husband because he couldn't get off work. I'm having another Friday and hubby is out of state for work so won't be at that one either. Neither attorney at the first two consults seemed to care, probably because it was just a consult.

Hubby is saving his vacation days so that when I do find the attorney that I think will be best for us, hubby says he trusts my judgment, he can then attend for the really important aspects of the whole process.

Good luck. I'm taking my time. I think I've found the one, but am consulting a few more first so that I don't miss out on a really good one.
      Filed Chapter 7 April 29th, 2010
      341 June 1st, 2010
      Report of No Distribution June 2nd, 2010
      Discharged and Closed 8/10/2010

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
        I don't think there would be a problem with just you going on the initial consult. If that man of yours has any sense, he'll do what you say anyways. After all, if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

haha! So true!

I know he'd "like" to go--but his job doesn't give him the option of leaving early unless his work loads are done. I can go during the day and get a feel for some attorneys and if I like one, we can try to arrange a follow-up and he can put in for a vacation day if need be to go to a follow up meeting. I just didn't want him to waste vacation days for interviewing if we didn't have to. I figured he may end up having to use them for later meetings that he needs to be at, or the 341.

Comment

Originally posted by jdcat View Post
          JEM I've gone to 2 in person consults without my husband because he couldn't get off work. I'm having another Friday and hubby is out of state for work so won't be at that one either. Neither attorney at the first two consults seemed to care, probably because it was just a consult.

Hubby is saving his vacation days so that when I do find the attorney that I think will be best for us, hubby says he trusts my judgment, he can then attend for the really important aspects of the whole process.

Good luck. I'm taking my time. I think I've found the one, but am consulting a few more first so that I don't miss out on a really good one.
          That's just what I posted! I want him to save his vacation days for later meetings, or the 341. Things that he'll HAVE to be at.

Ok, I feel better now. I was really worried he'd have to come. I'll start calling and setting up interviews this week then.

Comment

LOL! Is there an echo in here?

Good Luck JEM!
            Filed Chapter 7 April 29th, 2010
            341 June 1st, 2010
            Report of No Distribution June 2nd, 2010
            Discharged and Closed 8/10/2010

Comment

try to get recommendations.
              best to you.
              Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
              Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
              341 Meeting 01/05/2009
              Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Flowers View Post
                try to get recommendations.
                best to you.
                I'd really like to. But I don't know anyone that's filed (or lets put it this way--anyone that's SHARED they filed)--so I'm going to have to go in blind and just start interviewing.

Comment

There are attorneys that take after hours appointments for consultations. We had at least two consults with different attorneys that were after hours so that both my husband and I could go.

We found our attorney through http://nacba.com - National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.

We had met with two attorneys in person, three by phone consultation and learned alot on the forum about selecting an attorney by the time I went to NACBA so we had a pretty good idea what to look for.
                  Feb 2010 - Filed Chapter 7
                  March 2010 - 341 Meeting
                  May 2010 - Discharged
                  June 2010 - Closed

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic09 View Post
                    There are attorneys that take after hours appointments for consultations. We had at least two consults with different attorneys that were after hours so that both my husband and I could go.

We found our attorney through http://nacba.com - National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.

We had met with two attorneys in person, three by phone consultation and learned alot on the forum about selecting an attorney by the time I went to NACBA so we had a pretty good idea what to look for.

I'll check out that link!

I know I've read on here that you should stay away from "bankruptcy mills"...does that mean attorneys that ONLY do bankruptcy?

Or DO you want an attorney that ONLY does bankruptcy?

Comment

Originally posted by JEM View Post
                      I'll check out that link!

I know I've read on here that you should stay away from "bankruptcy mills"...does that mean attorneys that ONLY do bankruptcy?

Or DO you want an attorney that ONLY does bankruptcy?
                      A "mill" is an attorney who does an EXTREMELY high volume of bankruptcy cases and handles them all with paralegals and / or fresh-out-of-school attorneys in a cookie cutter fashion. You can usually spot them by the fact that they have TV commercials that sound like used car dealer commercials, billboards all over town &c.

There's nothing wrong with an attorney who does ONLY bankruptcies. In fact that's probably a good thing in most cases. A good rule of thumb is whether or not the "name" attorney meets with you at your consult or shortly thereafter. If you never see him, or they tell you that you can't/won't see him, you're probably dealing with a mill.
                      Last edited by MSbklawyer; 01-07-2010, 04:45 AM.
                      Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

My referral came from a friend who has been practicing criminal defense law practically forever in my community. He made a phone call to a lawyer friend who only does farm bankruptcies, and the friend gave him the names of "the only two consumer BK attorneys in town that he'd trust." Interestingly, neither of the two had display ads under bankruptcy in the yellow pages. The one I picked only does BKs, but he's definitely not a mill--he's been fantastic about keeping in touch. I have a complex personal BK with two incorporated businesses that I have to shut down and roll into the estate. It's an unholy mess, but he knows exactly what to do.

So if you don't know any BK lawyers, try any kind of lawyer. The criminal defense guys are gadflies; they know everybody.

Comment

I'll be the first to admit, I "over think" *everything*.

If I put off interviewing lawyers till after we get our tax refund and spend it down, is that bad to wait that long in between stopping paying CC's and retaining an attorney? Or does it really even matter?

If I interview attorneys next week, and tell them that our intentions are to file taxes and receive our tax refund and spend it on necessary living items and a portion of the attorneys fees, is that attorney going to question that?

If i tell them that we want to wait till Mar/Apr to file so that my husband's income doesn't look artificially high--will they question that?

I guess my question is...do you wait for all of these things to pass and THEN see the attorney or will a good attorney advise to you do these things ANYWAY??
                          Last edited by JEM; 01-09-2010, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I would think an attorney would tell you to do those things anyway, also once i selected an attorney, it took me more than a month to get my filing paperwork exactly the way I wanted it.
                            Filed Chapter 7 (no Asset) - Sept 2009
                            341 Meeting - Oct, 2009 (Converted to Asset Case)
                            DISCHARGED - Dec. 2009
                            $1500 Buy Back & 67% Of Tax Refund Surrendered

Comment

Your lawyer is there to represent YOU, not the trustee. He/she will either tell you to do it, or tell you not to do it because the trustee will have a problem with it. Either way, the farther in advance you have the info, the better off you are.

I also agree that it takes at least a month after retaining before you can get your paperwork ready. Start interviewing now, because when you retain, you're going to get a long list of documents your attorney needs to file your petition.

The best part is, when bill collectors call, you can refer them to your lawyer. I got a call yesterday: "Ms. Sleepless, we are calling because of your outstanding payment of $791.43, now can we please make arrangements to cure this amount as quickly as possible?"

Me: "No." I let that word hang in the air a few seconds. (They aren't used to hearing no as a complete sentence.) Then I said, "I'll be filing for bankruptcy soon. Would you like my attorney's name and phone number?"

Shuffling of paper. "Yes, go ahead." I give the information. "Ms. Sleepless, what chapter will you be filing?"

Me: "You can pose that question to my attorney. I believe we're all set. Have a nice day." [click].

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X