top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I have to wait to file bankruptcy because of Directv cancellation fee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I have to wait to file bankruptcy because of Directv cancellation fee?

We had a DirectTv account that was suspended because we are living with our in-laws. Well I cancelled it on December 30th, and at the time the guy told me that I had a 30$ credit, but when I called them today to see if they received my equipment they tell me I have a early cancellation fee of 220$. Is this going to effect my filing? I plan on filing in February 15th. I am not sure how this will all work.

I would think you should be able to just include it.

Comment

Yeah, if you can't afford to pay it, I would just include it.
      1.6.10 ~ Met with attorney.

Comment

I wasn't sure if it would throw me into waiting the 90 days, because it is a new debt. I really don't want to hold out any much longer on my filing, these collection calls are driving me insane.

Comment

The issue is not new debt within 90 days, like this DTV cancelation fee, its new charges to existing credit card accounts or new cc accounts within 90 days of filing. This should not cause you one second of worry. As others said, just add them to your schedules and you will be fine.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I think it is nominal enough.
            it probably automatically charged your credit card? I think that is okay.
            Or, if you were billed, you can include in BK.
            but like I said it was nominal.
            Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
            Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
            341 Meeting 01/05/2009
            Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

I have this issue right now and my lawyer said that it cant be added because it is new debt. I disagreed as well can I add it myself?
              Filed CH 7 12/1/2009
              341 Meeting 01/20/2010
              Discharged 3/22/2010
              Closed 3/29/2010

Comment

When did you stop the DirecTV service? Before you filed? The OP has not filed yet so the bill can be added to the matrix.
                Filed CH 7 9/30/2008

Comment

I filed on December 1st 2009 and canceled DTV on December 3rd 2009. I wasn't aware of any early cancellation fee or I would have ended it prior. It just doesn't sit well with me I never signed anything contract wise and I have been a customer for 7 years.
                  Filed CH 7 12/1/2009
                  341 Meeting 01/20/2010
                  Discharged 3/22/2010
                  Closed 3/29/2010

Comment

You might try to move up your complaint to a supervisor with DTV because 7 yrs is certainly not 'early termination'! In my experience the CSR's did not have any authority to do anything out of the norm. Do send back your boxes because the fee's for them are horrible (don't remember exactly but something like $300 or $400/ea box!).
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008

Comment

I can't answer your question, but wanted to add what I have been told about early termination fees. If you change your programming, add or subtract channels, add or subtract programming boxes or any other changes, you have entered into a new contract and the timing will start all over again.
                      It is like having a cell phone. If you get the "new free phone" every two years or whatever the contacts calls for, you are renewing the contract for another term.
                      I'm not 100 percent sure this is correct, this is only what I have been told by a person who once worked for a satellite company.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me several years ago. The wanted over three hundred dollars in fees after I had the service for 5 years. After trying to escalate it to supervisors/mangers several times, I told them to pound sand. finally a collection agency called (about six months later). I sent them a desist letter to only contact me by mail, and demanded that they send me copies of signed contracts where I had authorized these charges. Never heard form that agency again. About a year after that, I got the same call from another agency. I updated and sent out the same letter. I haven't heard anything since and they never tried to report it on my credit report.

These companies are so quick and willing to add services, that they don't have time to send out contract agreements for these type of things.

And if they can't provide proof that you authorized the charges, they can't make you pay.

For the service, I got it thru circuit city or best buy. and they just get you to sign a receipt that they consider an "agreement".

No way, five years later they can dig up a copy of a receipt you signed at best buy.
                        Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
                        Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
                        341 - 2/12/2010
                        Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

I'm sorry but I think they are shady. I will never go with Direct tv again. It isn't worth the headache. They are now trying to charge my credit card the 220, but the cc company won't let it through because I am late by two months and over the credit limit with all the fees. I'm glad it hasn't gone through. I don't need them charging my cc and having that delay my bk even more.

Comment

Be careful, they may try another account if you ever paid with another account. Despite what they claim, they actually retain the records of every form of payment you used to pay during the course of your subscription. So if you ever used a check or debit card from your checking account, make sure your funds are out of the account so they don't try an ACH or some other method to get the funds.
                            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008

Comment

Yeah I know, but the only other account that they may have had was my old debit card number. That was reported stolen a few months ago and canceled. So I think I should be good.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X