Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch Attorneys??

Hi,

I'm new here & have a question about potentially switching attorneys. My husband just retained an attny to file a ch. 7 business bankruptcy. After we paid him the retainer fee & signed the agreement, I found several horrible reviews for him in kudzu.com. Granted there were some good reviews too, but it made me nervous. I didn't totally like the guy anyway, but he seemed like he could get the job done. Now, I'm wondering if we should switch. So, 1 - do you think the bad reviews warrant switching and 2 - can we break a retainer agreement and get our $ back (we just signed & paid today).?

Thanks!

Is he a bk only atty? Did the good out weigh the bad?
    Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
    Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
    Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
    341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

More were good than bad - overall he got 3.5 stars out of 5. He does bankruptcy, divorce, wills - that sort of thing.

Comment

I would be a bit nervous of an atty that was not dedicated to bk related cases.
        Last edited by Faust; 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM. Reason: typo!
        Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.

Comment

Be very careful. Several posters here have come back to say that those type of attorneys (those that do more than strictly BK) nickel and dime you to death! And I don't mean nickels and dimes. Look at your retainer agreement very, very carefully. What does it include? Also, does he/she charge extra for phone calls/emails/communication? What is excluded in the agreement?

It is best to go with an attorney that ONLY files BK's and does not mix in the other items. It is a totally different type of practice.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I would be a bit nervous of an atty that was dedicated to bk related cases.
            Do you mean you would prefer an attorney that only practices Bk cases or one that practices Bk along with divorce, wills, etc?
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
              Do you mean you would prefer an attorney that only practices Bk cases or one that practices Bk along with divorce, wills, etc?
              Sorry, I meant NOT dedicated!

I changed my post.
              Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.

Comment

So, can I get out of the retainer agreement then or not? And, can I get my $ back since I just paid today??

Comment

Look at your retainer agreement and find out. It should have a clause regarding cancelation. I would read it tonight and call the attorney (or fax) him/her first thing in the am before they deposit the check!
                  Filed CH 7 9/30/2008

Comment

Originally posted by emilet View Post
                    So, can I get out of the retainer agreement then or not? And, can I get my $ back since I just paid today??
                    I don't know. Is there anything in your contract about getting refunds?
                    Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.

Comment

I've been looking at the retainer and it looks like we can break it with written notice, but I don't think we can get the $ back, though technically, I could stop payment on the check, I guess. My husband thinks we should just go with this guy, but I'm weary...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X