Buying a car before Ch 13???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a car before Ch 13???

My car is dead....dying a slow horrible death, we have managed to keep it running & fixing it thus far but are in the middle of getting advice on filing Ch 13...my question, if we are able to purchase a newer used vehicle before we file, then just continue the payments, will I be able to keep the vehicle?? I understand I will pay the entire amt, & that is ok....I just don't want to raise any flags, things I have been told is that it is ok & maybe even a smart idea to buy before i screw up my credit.

Thanks.

There is no problem buying a car right before BK. It is actually pretty common.
    Filed CH13 - 06/2009
    Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

We did.
      Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
      Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
      Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
      341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

It's actually recommended that you buy a new(er) car before filing ch. 13. You won't have much extra money for car repairs during your repayment period and the car payment will lessen the amount that you end up paying to your unsecured creditors. If you're married, you could even buy 2 new(er) cars...
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

car

We had asked this question to a lawyer in email prior to meeting with him, because we have 2 older cars and one of them is on its last leg. He called back and was quite negative about getting another car because we were "not supposed to accumulate more debt". we did not get an answer to what happens in the next 5 years when our car DOES die.

Comment

If you can manage it, do it before you file. We were not told we could (or should) do this and now we are struggling greatly. 2 cars with over 140,000 miles, and both have had major repairs over the last year. We're trying to hold on 15 more months until the end of our plan, but honestly each month we are holding our breaths.
            Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
            I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X