Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File In A Different County

Hey everyone!
    I would rather file in a different county than my residence. Can I do that? I am remarried and am living in my wifes lifelong stomping grounds. I would like to keep the obligatory filing out of the local publications.

Steve

You want to file in a different county or a different district?
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Filing In A Different Venue

Which ever would keep the public notification out of our immediate living area. I'm assuming each county or district (I don't know which) where the filing occurs will be where the filing is made public.

Steve

Comment

I've never seen bk's published in the paper. Do they even still do that? I mean unless you have to serve a creditor by publication... they don't... right? MrSteve... go to this link and locate your district court http://www.uscourts.gov/bankruptcycourts.html (Court locator link is at the top.)

Where you file is determined by where you live, and a legal thing called "venue".

My bankruptcy courthouse is more than 60 miles from my home.

Not that it really matters where the courthouse is, since the information is publicly available on the internet at any computer near you via PACER, but someone would really need to know that you filed to bother looking for it, right? Or be stalkingly interested in you and your business.

Personally, I don't know anybody on the planet who is interested enough in my stuff to say oooooh let's go on the internet and see if tiger filed bankruptcy... lol... do you? Not that I really care anyway, even if they did. Or could do anything about it...

Comment

Venue

Well that is pretty logical and for that I thank you I'm just concerned for my bride and didn't want someone in her circle going through the paper and accidently seeing my filing. The more I think about it... I don't recall, in recent years, seeing anything like that myself. So I think I can put this to rest and move on with movin on.

Kind regards,

Steve

Comment

Ours are in the local paper...district is about 20 miles away. Look in your local paper, probably on Sundays and watch for them...ours run once a month. My mom said she always reads them to see if she knows anyone....I think that is being nosey.....
            Filed Chapter 7: 10/29/09 341 Meeting: 12/02/09
            UST involved: 12/12/09 UST out: 1/10/10
            Last day for objections: 2/01/10 Discharged: 2/8/10

Comment

Most states only have a single (or 3 or less) bankruptcy court "districts". The only reason to try to file in one county vs another is the housing expense standard. But you need some established residency in the county.

Ultimately, you need to put a physical address on the petition and that is the address where all your BK notices will be sent.

Comment

HHM, he just doesn't want his wife's friends and family to find out. I guess he is "relatively" safe from discovery unless he actively talks about it. But it is public information, and no two ways around that.

Comment

Shame and Fear are "self" inflicted wounds.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                    Shame and Fear are "self" inflicted wounds.
                    Well said HHM.
                    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.

Comment

My lawyer was in a different county and it still ended up in our local paper and now the local radio station puts it on their website. But I really don't know where he filed the papers at. We had to drive about 2 hours to go to our 341 to the Federal Courthouse
                      Charmedmom

Comment

I wonder what the newspapers and radio station hope to gain by publishing this information? Is this supposed to be the wall of shame? I think it is really stupid that they publish that information instead of something newsworthy. But I guess that is their right to do it if they want to. Seems petty and small minded to me, but...Whatever.

Comment

They are not posted in our local paper. I have been reading the legals since I filed and I haven't seen any listings for any BK at all. And our Federal Courthouse is in my town. I guess it varies district to district.
                          Wife Laid off - 11/16/2009 Missed First Payments - 12/5/2009
                          Filed Chap 7 - 12/31/2009
                          341 - 2/12/2010
                          Discharged - 4/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
                            I wonder what the newspapers and radio station hope to gain by publishing this information? Is this supposed to be the wall of shame? I think it is really stupid that they publish that information instead of something newsworthy. But I guess that is their right to do it if they want to. Seems petty and small minded to me, but...Whatever.
                            Because people like to talk and gossip about other people. I bet the paper where bankruptcies are listed are as popular as the one with the Sunday coupons.

MrSteve, don't lose any sleep over this. I can guarantee you that many of those same folks you worry about have filed or are going to file themselves. It's a small world, and Ms. Karma can be a real beyatch.........

Comment

When we filed 9-08 our local paper ran the listings. If anyone saw ours they didn't have the nerve to mention it. I was past the point of caring. Of course, they don't publish anymore. There are so many foreclosures I doubt anyone take the time to read them.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X