top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paying student loan w/ credit card pref payment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paying student loan w/ credit card pref payment?

Just wanting an opinion here, if I used a convenience check to pay 3000 or so on a private student loan, how long do I need to wait to file so this is not seen as a preferential payment or is it even a pref. payment?

Thanks!!!

This is essentially a cash-advance, you must wait at least 90 days but the trustee could look at all cash-advances for 6 months, 1 year - etc. You could also face a challenge from the creditor.

It's also fraud if you spend that $3000 knowing you're going to file bankruptcy.
    19% dividend

Comment

I would not do it.
      Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
      Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
      Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
      341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Originally posted by justme62906 View Post
        Just wanting an opinion here, if I used a convenience check to pay 3000 or so on a private student loan, how long do I need to wait to file so this is not seen as a preferential payment or is it even a pref. payment?

Thanks!!!
        90 days at a minimum. As always, the longer you wait the better.

However, I agree with the position that if you know for certain you are going to file BK then it is, technically, fraud. Proving that is a different story.

I think that with 3K if you wait at least 90 days you are unlikely to get much pushback. But this is one of those roll the dice questions that is a little bit like asking if you are going to get sued. No guarantees.
        So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
        Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
        Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
        And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X