top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you tell your children you were filing for BK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you tell your children you were filing for BK?

We have eight children. Older ones are 20 to 26, younger ones are 10 to 17. Would you (did you) tell your children that you were filing for BK?

Thanks, John

Yes. Ages range from 22-27. All of them knew, knew in advance, and have been ok with it. They have seen the struggle over the years.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Mine are too young to understand any of it, so no. But if I had older children I probably would. They could learn from my mistakes. And kids are smart, they know when there are financial struggles even when you don't tell them. To reassure them that all will be okay and you're doing fine after this, that would be comforting for a kid.
      attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
      no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
      341, 05/10/2010
      discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

We didn't tell our kids ( teenager) or younger ones. Kids have a way of telling other people when it's not their business. However, later on if I think my kids are struggling I would sit them down and talk with them about it. We also are trying to teach our kids to save and what it means to live with in our means.

Comment

I'm 33 and single - should I tell my parents I'm doing this....they may take it worse than the other 3 words I've told them...

Comment

i'm 33 and single - should I tell my parents and family I'm doing this...I'm afraid they may take this worse than the 3 other words i've told them.

Comment

I wouldn't tell anyone that doesn't absolutely have to know Mikey. As in, they are somehow involved with your finances or credit.
              attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
              no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
              341, 05/10/2010
              discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

My dad is huge of financial responsibility - this will definitely look bad in his eyes.

Comment

No kids. Didn't tell my parents. They are elderly and don't need the stress of worrying about me.

Comment

Our kids are between 14 and 24. We did tell them and will also talk to them about the whole process. We want to educate our kids. Letting them learn from our mistakes will hopefully benefit them down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyisbroke View Post
                      My dad is huge of financial responsibility - this will definitely look bad in his eyes.
                      mikey- My dad is the same way. He even retired at 52. I took all my bills in and put them in a spreadsheet broken down by % and amount owed and said. I know you are financially smart. However, I think I have to file bankruptcy. I told him I have been trying to dig out for 3 years.

My dad said hell yeah you need to file. I didn't want to tell him. But, I faced the shame I felt and told the person I felt would hold me most accountable other than myself.

You just might be surprised at what your dad has to say.

Comment

We told our kids, who are all in high school. They needed an explanation about why we were leaving the only home they'd ever known to move to another state.

Comment

I only have 2 kids, 8 & 10, I may tell them when it gets closer to when I actually have to move out of the house. Right now, I'm not telling them. They really are too young to completely understand. But I will tell them when they are older. Hopefully, they can learn from my mistakes.

Comment

My kids are all teenagers, and I told them all along what was going on. I wanted them to understand what was going on and to gain an understanding of how they can avoid doing the same.
                            Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

No. We haven't. I have an 18 yr old, but he's moved out. So, we won't tell him. And our other two are 7 and 9, they wouldn't understand anyway.

We're filing a 7 and keeping the house, so there isn't any reason to tell them, because we aren't moving or anything.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X