Roth IRA's untouchable???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roth IRA's untouchable???

Was talking to my father about a possible ch.7 BK filing later in the year, and he said he had heard that the trustee can go after a Roth IRA, but not a traditional one. That just doesn't sound right.

I'm in michigan, and since I quit paying on my first and second mortgage's I have been able to save up quite a bit of money. So much so that I decided to sock away about $10,000 in a Roth IRA, half for 2009 and the other half for 2010. Did this just this week. Won't be filing for BK until probably october, so I will have put about 6 months of time between my IRA transaction and my filing.

I think my father heard wrong and is misinformed, but I thought I would throw it out there for you guys and gals. Is he wrong? I guess I can always convert it to a traditional, right?

I believe you're right both IRA's are protected up to 1million and provided
    you haven't deposited anything within 6 months. But check with your state exemptions to be sure.

also don't expect your 401(k) or IRA to be safe if you owe the IRS anything,
    nothing is exempt from them.

Comment

Ok, that's what I thought. Did a little research and they are exempt. Haven't come across the "6-month" rule, but I will make sure that I put 6 months between the transaction and the filing.

Comment

Looks like you need at least 120 days beween the coontribution and filing.

600.5451 - ERISA-qualified benefits as well as IRAs and Roth IRAS with the exception of contributions made within the last 120 days.

You can protect property in a Michigan bankruptcy using either Michigan's bankruptcy exemption laws or the federal exemptions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X