authorized user question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

authorized user question

I have a large amount of credit card debt on about 4 credit cards.

Many years ago my husband became an authorized user. This was accomplished with a phone call from me to the credit card companies asking them to add him on as an additional user of the card. He was never asked for his ss# or any other personal information.

Since I have not been able to pay on the cards, obviously my credit score has been negatively affected. His has as well although I hve been told that he has no legal liability to pay the outstanding balances since the accounts are in my name.

MY question is when I file for bankruptcy, will that be the end of things negatively affecting his credit score and will the collection departments leave him along at that point? Also since my bankruptcy will effective wipe out the debt (and of course my credit for several years) will he be able to start recovering on his credit scores at that time?
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 03-20-2010, 04:27 PM. Reason: Improve readability.

Have your husband dispute the account as "NOT MY ACCOUNT" with all the credit bureaus and they will delete his off his credit report, thus restoring his good credit. I did this before and it was a piece of cake, it wasn't my account, I had no responsibility for the bill and they had no SSN from me as well. I did this for three different credit cards.

Comment

Things have changed with AU's and credit reports. For the most part they no longer report them, since it got gamed so much in credit repair. My wife and I defaulted on a ton of cards that were individual responsibility, with the spouse as an AU and I haven't had to dispute anything, none of the bad accounts are reporting as AU baddies, just baddies for the [ir-]responsible party.
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

In most cases of major purchases, both parties are subject to credit checks or the file will cross with a spouses name. But what to matter? You are going bk anyway and it is credit that got us all into this for the most part. You can certainly see the banks aren't lending much anyway. We have established a no credit policy in our lives. It feels a lot better. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X