top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you get in trouble for paying your normal bills before filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you get in trouble for paying your normal bills before filing?

I don't have credit card debt and I'd like to pay those and my other bills on their due dates before filing. This serves to get my bank account balance to near zero.

Would this be a problem?

Originally posted by ColoradoBell View Post
    I don't have credit card debt and I'd like to pay those and my other bills on their due dates before filing. This serves to get my bank account balance to near zero.

Would this be a problem?
    I hope not because I just did the same thing. It would make sense to me since you bank account could go to creditors anyhow if the amount is large enough and your exemptions don't cover it.

Comment

You mean pay the balance of the card(s) off? If it is less than $600, sure you can. But all of your CC will likely be closed as soon as they find out about your filing, even with a zero balance. So you're kind of wasting money. Of course pay all of your utilities, mortgage if you're keeping your house, or rent etc.

What debt is causing you to file if you've got no CC balances?
      attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
      no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
      341, 05/10/2010
      discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

You won't get in trouble. As long as you're receiving equal value for what you're spending it's all good. It's only for paying back past debts that raises questions.
        filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

You may pay your normal living expenses without raising any eyebrows. Do NOT pay any money to friends or family though...
          Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
          0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Thanks for your answers!
            I"ve been paying for things I generally pay (insurance, CCs, hair cuts, plus taxes, retiremtn and HSA contributions and I just don't want to do something wrong which might cause me to have to wait to file.

My sitch is weird cuz my debt is all from 'due on sale of my home' amounts that are gathering interest but don't have to be paid until my house is sold. Problem is that there is a crooked scheme afloat to sell my house for 1/3rd its appraised value in a not at arms lenght transaction....If that happens, I can barely pay the secured debt and not any of the unsecured debt. Worse, my alimony ends in July and I will be living on $475 month afterward (unless I can get it modified.)

I'm hoping that filing will stop the sale so thta the trustee can sell it for what it is worth.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X