Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColoradoBell View Post
    Thanks, Spetkovich,
    I understand what you're saying and believe it....My only experience has been with family law attonreys, but I learned quickly that most of them had limited knowledge and relied on wheeling/dealing more than the law in representing their clients. If anything came up about specifics, they hired out researchers at half (or less) than their hourly and then charged the client by their hourly.

I have to attend to some other matters this week, but then will try once again to
    find what i need. Perhaps I should meet with the 'basic' bk attorneys just to get some basic questions answered first. I'm starting to get a good picture of what might happen, but since there are variables, I really need a strategist to advise me on which strategy might be best for me.
    I too am in colorado. What area are you in? I was quite pleased with my attorney. He's very reputable.

Comment

The homestead is attached to the house, not a person. The tricky issue is this, if the husband no longer lives there, is he entitled to any of it? Arguments can run both ways but you have a strong argument that if only you live there, and he doesn't, that he is not entitled to any of the homestead; however, that argument is only appropriate in BK court. In family court, the situation is viewed differently. The homestead is simply an exemption from 3rd party creditors taking your home equity to satisfy a debt.

Comment

You're right HHH...it is tricky. I found case law going both ways. And it would make a big difference in my sitch...esp. if I try to avoid a few judgment liens.

RobLaw: I'm in the high country but would be in Denver Bk court.
        What's the name of your attorney?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X