Incoming Bills after Filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incoming Bills after Filing

Situation: Husband currently undergoing chemo. Bills do not arrive for 1-2 months after treatment because they must first be submitted to Medicare. Husband has two more months of heavy duty chemo then 1 1/2 yrs of chemo maintenance then he is cancer free. Filing BK later this month.

Question: How do I list these bills as being due if I do not know the amounts I need to pay until well after the charges occur? If I go 13 does the TT allow for medical costs/prescriptions in the plan if we do not know their amounts?

I just don't know how to figure this out.
    Filed Chapter 7 on Friday the 13th!, 341 9/10/10 . TT's report of no distribution 9/13/10 DAMN STRAIGHT! Case Closed! 11/19/10 "Our long national nightmare is over".

Hi anon, this thread may help....

Filed Chapter 7 April 29th, 2010
    341 June 1st, 2010
    Report of No Distribution June 2nd, 2010
    Discharged and Closed 8/10/2010

Comment

It would probably be in your best interest to not file until your husbands chemo treatments are finished and the bills are received.

I realize he will have ongoing treatment, but you can't include in BK bills that have not yet been incurred.

In the link above, I believe the "placeholder" would be for treatment that was completed and not yet billed. Instead of the treatments not yet received. See the difference?

Please discuss this with your attorney. But you don't want to file too early, and then get stuck with the bills that arrive for next months treatments.

I wish you the best.
      Last edited by NoMoreCards; 04-14-2010, 09:08 AM. Reason: Added info for clarity.
      8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
      11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

That is my dilemma. He has at least another year and half of chemo (for Leukemia) and I sure as heck can't last that long. He's already on month #9 and, frankly, I can't go on anymore 'cause I'm broke!
        Filed Chapter 7 on Friday the 13th!, 341 9/10/10 . TT's report of no distribution 9/13/10 DAMN STRAIGHT! Case Closed! 11/19/10 "Our long national nightmare is over".

Comment

As a cancer surviver myself, I stongly urge you to wait to file until the treatments are finished. Especially if you have active chemo treatments, it is best to finish the chemo regimen first. I don't want to get into any medical details, but it is not unusual to have an extra hospitalization as a direct result of the chemo treatments. The hospitalization is extremely expensive and you do not want to have large (or even small) medical bills not covered under Medicare after your BK.

Filing BK will not solve the issue of being broke. It only takes care of the debt. When you are speaking about being broke, that is an income issue. Take a look at what your "new" budget will be post BK and if there is not enough income, you need to work on that first. Then file after the treatments are done.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

You may be able to do a chapter 13 for that long and then switch to a chapter 7 later on. Just estimate what it would cost now with bills and meds for your plan. Several people start out in 13 and end up switching to a 7

Comment

Is that a possibility for this situation? The reason I question that option is the filing date would remain the same, and therefore all bills incurred after filing date can not be included in the BK.

I don't know the in's and out's of this, perhaps I am mistaken.
              8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
              11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I have an appointment next week with an attorney. I wish I could wait until he is finished with chemo but I've been off work for the past 9 months (I'm self employed) taking care of him and if I don't file soon I will get sued and lose everything. I'm also losing my business because of the illness, so all in all it's been a crappy year and I never thought this would happen to us.

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                  As a cancer surviver myself, I stongly urge you to wait to file until the treatments are finished. Especially if you have active chemo treatments, it is best to finish the chemo regimen first. I don't want to get into any medical details, but it is not unusual to have an extra hospitalization as a direct result of the chemo treatments. The hospitalization is extremely expensive and you do not want to have large (or even small) medical bills not covered under Medicare after your BK.

Filing BK will not solve the issue of being broke. It only takes care of the debt. When you are speaking about being broke, that is an income issue. Take a look at what your "new" budget will be post BK and if there is not enough income, you need to work on that first. Then file after the treatments are done.
                  Yes, if you need to claim these you will need to wait. I agree that there may be complications that you could encounter.
                  Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
                  Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
                  Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
                  341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Again, thank you. I cannot wait until chemo is finished because he has another one and half YEARS of chemo.

Comment

You are right - that if one converts a 13 to 7 then the original filing date stands.

But one could dismiss the 13, then later file a ch. 7.

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
                      Is that a possibility for this situation? The reason I question that option is the filing date would remain the same, and therefore all bills incurred after filing date can not be included in the BK.

I don't know the in's and out's of this, perhaps I am mistaken.
                      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by Anon View Post
                        Again, thank you. I cannot wait until chemo is finished because he has another one and half YEARS of chemo.
                        Are you totally uninsured right now? You could still be looking at thousand and thousands of dollars in the year to come! You don't want to file and then still have all this debt.

What other debts do you currently have?
                        Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
                          You are right - that if one converts a 13 to 7 then the original filing date stands.

But one could dismiss the 13, then later file a ch. 7.
                          That is really important and is what I meant.. You get the case dismissed and then file CH7

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                            That is really important and is what I meant.. You get the case dismissed and then file CH7
                            Good news then. I didn't consider that.
                            Learn something new every day.
                            8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                            11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                              I see. Is that how it works? That's interesting.

Thank you!
                              Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X